We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly gite recommendations for cycling alp d'huez

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly gite recommendations for cycling alp d'huez

Hi

I am trying to plan a holiday for next year staying in a gite with a toddler in a location where my husband could cycle Alp d'huez and Ventoix. I am struggling to identify what locations would be best for this and to find family friendly gites.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Marianne

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly gite recommendations for cycling alp d'huez

Hello Marianne,

You dont say which month you are planning to come here but I assume it will be between May and September.

Your options for your husband cycling AdH is to either stay in Bourg d'Oisans which is the town at the foot of the bends or to stay somewhere close by eg Oz Village or one of the surrounding villages which are all easy to cycle to start the bends. Our guests enjoy the fairly flat warm up before they get to the the base of the bends. From here there are loads of other rides he can do. The AdH bends are the most famous but not the most interesting ride.

Ventoux is about 4 hrs from here so you would probably want to stay somewhere closer - check out http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/ for some accomodation ideas for Ventoux.

Hope this helps - there are also lots of things you can do here with your toddler, depending on when you are planning to visit. We'd be happy to help wth any other information you need on AdH and surrounding area.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 23:12
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly gite recommendations for cycling alp d'huez

Thanks.

It's a surprise for his 40th so I'm not sure what other routes he would want to do but I know he wants to tick AdH, Ventoux and Galibier off the list.

Is there anyone we could stay that would be in between them?

Will take a look at the info you left

Thanks

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly gite recommendations for cycling alp d'huez

Hello Marianne,

Great idea for a 40th - make sure he's done lots of training. These mountains are seriously steep and go on and on - not like anything you have in Nottingham!!

Staying somewhere in the middle would be equally inconvenient for both rides. Your best bet is a 2 centre stay or he will have quite a car journey before he can do some cycling.

Cyclists staying with us are here to cycle Galibier, AdH ,Telegraph, Glandon, Croix de Fer etc - another option is to stay near AdH and then drive over to Ventoux, cycle up it and then do a one night stay near Ventoux.

For other local rides here in the Oisans see

bike-oisans.com/en/…1

If you would like more detailed information send us a message via TA or an e mail.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 07:50
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly gite recommendations for cycling alp d'huez

Hi

Thanks for your help. It does look like Bourg d'Oisans or nearby would be our perfect location.

Do you have any recommendations? We will have a toddler with us so a nice family friendly base with things for us to do whilst the husband cycles.

Many thanks

Marianne

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly gite recommendations for cycling alp d'huez

Hi

Anywhere in Oz, Allemond, Bourg is ideal for cycling the local rides. There is lots of accomodation from family friendly gites/chalets to campsites. Check out the local tourist offices eg http://www.oz-en-oisans.com/en

6. Re: Family friendly gite recommendations for cycling alp d'huez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:15