We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Avignon or Dijon from Annecy

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
677 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
getting to Avignon or Dijon from Annecy

My husband has a conference in Annecy May 25-31 and we'd like to add a few days after the conference to see other areas of France. We prefer to use trains with minimal station changes, and we need to end up in Paris to fly home. We're thinking of going from Annecy to Avignon for 2-3 nights and then from Avignon to Dijon for 2-3 nights, then back to Paris. I know how to get to Paris from Dijon, but can't figure out the train routes for Annecy to Avignon to Dijon from the RailEurope website. Can anyone help?

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to Avignon or Dijon from Annecy

I had a quick look for you on Rail Europe for 1st June Annecy to Avignon - you have to change trains in Valence, and from there some trains are TGV and some are TER (the former being quicker). Journeys take between 4 and 5 hrs in total - possibly this is because it's a Sunday?

I have done this journey by going to Lyon from Annecy (in my case by car, but there are trains, and then a quick TGV from Lyon to Avignon - so I searched the Rail Europe site for Annecy to Avignon, but specified that it should be via Lyon, and sure enough the journey time is less - 10.39 leaves Annecy, change at Lyon PArt Dieu and arrive Lyon 13.47

Avignon to Dijon seems to go via Lyon too, so perhaps its not a sensible trip.

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to Avignon or Dijon from Annecy

Sorry, I mean arrives Avignon at 13.47

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
677 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to Avignon or Dijon from Annecy

Thanks for the explanation. I think we're going to simplify the trip and skip Avignon. The current plan it to take the train from Annecy to Lyon, spend 3 nights there, and then take the train from Lyon to Dijon and spend 3-4 nights there before returning to Paris. It looks to me like each of these train trips is by TGV and does not require a change. Does that seem right to you?

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to Avignon or Dijon from Annecy

Yes, direct trains

And again, especially Lyon to Dijon, some trains are ter rather than tgv, and so will be slightly slower

5. Re: getting to Avignon or Dijon from Annecy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 20:19