We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car or train

Which Annecy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens
8 posts
Save Topic
car or train

I plan to visit in May for 5 days Geneva and the area around from Annecy to Montreux .

Is it convenient by train to visit the picturesque sites of the area of Annecy?

Is it fine to approach Annecy by car or is it hard for the cars to move there and I should prefer the train instead?

Thanks in advance

Nicholas

Paris, France
Level Contributor
333 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car or train

Hi Nicholas,

I think it really depends on how many days you are planning to be there. If it is just one day in Annecy I would say go by train, very easy from Geneva. You could perhaps take a boat trip around the lake and spend the rest of the day in Annecy, you will easily fill a day looking around.

If you want to spend more time there, for example visiting more villages around the lake, I really think you need a car. If the weather is good two great places to go by car for views of the lake and mountains are the Col de la Forclaz (for a view of the lake) and the cret de Chatillon road (for views of the mountains). Annecy can be busy but it is not difficult to drive around. I was there in May last year driving and had no problems at all. If you go by car a good place to park when you first arrive is the Hotel de Ville car park, it is very well signposted when you get into the town. It is a big underground car park right at the side of the lake and just over the road from the very pretty old town of Annecy, and where the boats leave for trips around the lake.

Hope this is useful

Alison

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car or train

I'll add something to Alison's excellent recommendations. If you like cycling, there are nice bike paths along Annecy lake, so you might cycle instead taking your car.

But a car is definitively useful if you want to go up the mountains (La Tournette is not far and offers a beautiful view on the lake):

france-for-visitors.com/alps/annecy/la-tourn…

Here are beautiful pictures of Annecy ant the lake area (sorry it is a French site):

…blogspot.com/2005/02/la-tournette.html

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: car or train

A little PS from me - if you decide not to bother with a car, then it's easier to get to Annecy by bus from Geneva, not by train. The bus goes from the airport, or central train station or bus station in geneva, and terminates at the station in Annecy.

see timetable at http://english.frossard.eu/horaires.phtml

4. Re: car or train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 20:18