We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva airport to Annecy: avoid toll bridges?

Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva airport to Annecy: avoid toll bridges?

Hi all,

I am going to Annecy on Thursday for a friend's wedding and we are hiring a car from Geneva airport (french side I think). I have heard that we may encounter a few toll bridges when we drive on the motorway, so can anyone confirm this? How much does it cost? Does anyone know of an alternate route, in which we could avoid paying excessive tolls but still find out way quite easily? We are staying in the Comfort Hotel La Mandallaz... would love directions directly to it!!

Cheers

La Vieille Ville
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Le Semnoz
Mountains, Hiking Trails
Gorges du Fier
Nature & Wildlife Areas
London
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva airport to Annecy: avoid toll bridges?

The problem is in particular on the Swiss side - there is a fixed annual toll of 40 Swiss Francs (about £20) - all rental cars hired on the Swiss side have the 'vignette' (sticker) to show it is paid, French side rentals do not.

Suggest you download a route from www.viamichelin.com but most importantly head for the town of St-Julien-en-Genevois. It's not a simple route from the airport, but once you get there you can find a Route Nationale to Annecy (avoid the motorway signs) and then you don't need to pay.

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva airport to Annecy: avoid toll bridges?

I agree with all this - you do sometimes get away without paying the vignette, if the Swiss police are feeling lazy, and don't stop you at the border. Leave enough time to drive from the airport to Annecy - as the previous answer says, the non motorway route is fiddly, and it's easy to get a bit lost.

3. Re: Geneva airport to Annecy: avoid toll bridges?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 18:18