We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary

Which Annecy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
israel
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary

Hi everyone

My daughter and I plan to visit Paris and after staying there a few days we want to rent a car for 5 days (and drop it off back in Paris). Can somebody please advice about the itinerary? We don’t have an idea yet, maybe drive to the east: Geneva’ Lake or Annecy (“the Venice of France”) I read about these places in some reviews on the site), or the place is so far from Paris? We want to see the scenery, enter nice small towns and villages and try to avoid the toll roads. Also, my daughter is a photographer, and she’s really interested in lakes and mountains. We’re really open to interesting suggestions.

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary

Hi

In view of the distance from Paris to Annecy, why not take the tgv train to Annecy, and then drive back? Or vice versa of course. You don't say which month you are going, because autumn / winter driving conditions in mountain areas will be more difficult than in the spring or summer.

israel
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary

I’ve already booked a car (from Paris on 24.09.08 with drop off also in Paris on 29.09.08). Do you think that it will be difficult and not worth it to drive so far for such a short time? Such pity, because I already saw how beautiful this area is and I just don’t know what other direction and what sites do I want to pick out.

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary

Sorry, I have never done this drive, because I prefer trains. Yes, Annecy is very beautiful, and definitely worth a visit

London
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary

The drive from Paris to Geneva or Annecy is about 5 or 6 hours providing you stay on the toll motorways.

You might consider taking the motorway as far as the Burgundy region around Beaune and having lunch there, then you could either continue on or spend some time in the Jura area, between Dôle and Nantua or Geneva en route to Annecy. In the Jura I would recommend in particular the area around the little town of Arbois and there are spectacular sights. (Be careful, by the way, that you don't go on Swiss motorways unless you want to buy the Swiss vignette motorway sticker - only legal way to drive on the motorways - it's 40 Swiss Francs - about 30 Euros). You could of course spend half a day in Burgundy en route down and Jura on the way back, still giving you 3 days around Annecy.

Providing the weather is good and you have every chance of this, Annecy will be a great base for beautiful, photogenic scenery. As well as exploring the immediate area around the lake, you can go easily up into the mountains to La Clusaz and Le Grand Bornand in the Aravis (45 minutes from Annecy). You can go up to the Col des Aravis for a view over to Mont Blanc providing the day is clear (particularly spectacular at dawn or sunset).

Hope you get this trip together and enjoy it!

5. Re: Need help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 20:18