We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annecy or Lyon?

Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Annecy or Lyon?

My mother and I are traveling to France this summer and are trying to decide between the two. We will either be taking a train to Geneva and driving to Annecy, or just a train to Lyon. It is only for one night, since we will then be traveling down to the coast.

Which do you prefer? Any pros or cons?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Annecy or Lyon?

For just one night I'd suggest Annecy, which is not far from Geneva. It is beautifully situated on the lake, and the old town would be perfect for one day and night. Lyon is a great city, too, but for the short time my vote is for Annecy.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Annecy or Lyon?

I agree - Lyon is a larger place, and you could spend 2 or 3 nights there.

Lyon is more urban, Roman sights, traboules, loads of restaurants. Annecy is extremely pictareque, with mountains and lake.

I suggest you book the hotel fairly soon, as the summer is very busy in Annecy.Perhaps get the bus from Geneva to Annecy ( timetable is http://www.frossard.eu/horaires.phtml?hashID=80337511f4a6d7b16baac9dea7e7a3ff) as it's quite difficult with a car, and sometimes difficult to park. Then get the car from Annecy to travel to the coast, or the TGV.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Geneva
Geneva
3. Re: Annecy or Lyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 13:17