We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip - Annecy,Evain,Lyon,Chamonix,or Lichtenstein

Which Annecy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip - Annecy,Evain,Lyon,Chamonix,or Lichtenstein

So I have been in Lausanne for about 10 weeks now and seen quite a bit of Switzerland that I would like to leave and see some other country before I leave.

Would you guys suggest Annecy, Lyon, Chamonix or Lichtenstein area. I know Lichenstein is far but I'll be able to maybe see a city in Austria too.

I have been to France before in Paris but read that Annecy is suppose to be really nice but what can I really do there? I'm a student and like nature, walks, and would love to try paragliding. If I go to Annecy - would I be able to stop by Telepherique Du Saleve on the way with public transportation? I think they close this week.

Chamonix has the sight of Mont Blanc

I haven't even taken the boat across to see Evain so I don't know where to go to see.

Or maybe I should spend more time in Switzerland and see someplace else.... like Glacier 3000...

Edited: 11 November 2010, 14:13
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip - Annecy,Evain,Lyon,Chamonix,or Lichtenstein

Out of all the towns you mention, it depends what you would like to see.

Chamonix would be the best as you would have an opportunity to go right to the top of Mont Blanc on the Aiguille du midi cable car (this would take up most part of the day) . On a clear day, it is worth it. On a cloudy day it is not so good..However, you do get to go up higher than the clouds and then it may be sunny and clear. The town is mainly one street with lots of shops & restaurants.There are plenty of paragliding bases here.

Annecy is mainly a large shopping centre and part of a smaller old town on one side and a lake in a lovely setting with walks all the way round the lake. However, you are never far from the main road.

Lyon is pretty similar just bigger and not as dramatic.

Telepherique Du Saleve is halfway between Annecy and Chamonix and fantastic for panoramic views and walks and paragliding. Check their website for opening times and prices.

Evian is beautiful place to visit if you can get there.

Have not been to Lichenstein.

You would have to choose only one of these for a day trip because it would take a day to explore.

You might be able to to Evian in half a day.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip - Annecy,Evain,Lyon,Chamonix,or Lichtenstein

The Principality of Liechtenstein on the Swiss/Austrian border or Lichtensteig in the Toggenburg valley ? Both are pretty and the Toggenburg is a gem off the beaten tourist path. http://www.toggenburg.org/en/welcome.cfm?

Nearby Feldkirch in Austria is worth a visit while in the area. Age-old Chur at the foot of the Grisons is interesting.

There are also several Lichtenstein in Germany gemeinde-lichtenstein.de/servlet/…index.html

Happy travelling.

Edited: 18 November 2010, 11:22
3. Re: Day Trip - Annecy,Evain,Lyon,Chamonix,or Lichtenstein

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2011, 06:30