We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to Annecy from Geneva

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transport to Annecy from Geneva

Can anyone recommend the most economical way to travel from Geneva to Annecy?

I understand there is a bus, but I can find NO information on it.

A taxi is very expensive, and renting a car??? I don't know what's best. Appreciate any insight/experience.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,846 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to Annecy from Geneva

Why don't you simply buy a train ticket and take the next train?

see: www.sbb.ch

www.ter-sncf.fr

Geneva
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to Annecy from Geneva

bus annecy:

try

wwwlapp.in2p3.fr/lapth/RAQIS03/aeroports.html

( right at bottom of the page).I think it may be the cheapest solution and more direct than a train to that particular destination.

for any further info e-mail to bus station Geneva your request

<info@gare-routiere.com>

or consult websiite

http://212.203.98.98/WW70AWP/WW70AWP.EXE/CTX_3732-8-cpvdcjPkmi/Transport_Phase1/SYNC_-103374874?DRAPEAU_EN

A taxi will cost you somewhere between 80 and 100 Francs.

Annecy, France
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to Annecy from Geneva

You can take the train...www.sncf.com. Frossard is the bus company that runs between Annecy and Geneva. I too cannot find a website but I have the schedule in front of me. It leaves from Gare Routiere and Gare CFF in Geneva. You don't need a reservation for a seat on the bus and you can only buy the tickets the day of your travel. Yes, a taxi will cost you about 100 Euros. Renting a car can be expensive too. Though those are the most convenient modes of transportation, but they are also the most expensive. Unfortunately, these is no direct transportation from the Geneva airport to Annecy. :(

NL
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to Annecy from Geneva

So what did you do to come from Geneva Airport to Annecy?

I have to go there as well 25 aug..

hope to hear from you!

England
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to Annecy from Geneva

I absolutely WOULD NOT recommend getting the train from Geneva to Annecy. Have just done it and it was a nightmare!!!

You have to go from Geneva to Culoz which is a deserted station in the middle of nowhere, then get a train to Aix-le-Bains, and then change to a train to Annecy. The whole adventure took the best part of three hours and was memorable for never wanting to do it again. If you have a lot of luggage and want hassle free travel - do not do this!

Take a taxi - takes about 45 mins and is much better. Best and cheapest way to do it is to call ahead and book a French taxi to come to Geneva to get you, rather than get a Swiss taxi to go to France.

We took a taxi from Annecy to Geneva this week and paid 90 euros. Not cheap, but WAY less hassle.

You could also take the bus - cheaper again and probably less hassle than the train.

Comber, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport to Annecy from Geneva

I found details of the bus service from Geneva (Gare Routiere) to Annecy. Details are on www.coach-station.com or www.gare-routiere.com

Fares are 31chf return (£15) and operates several services daily. Journey time varies from 45 minutes on the express summer schedule, to 1hr30mins on the services that have some stops en route.

I havent used this service as we drove down, but this looks like a viable alternative to hiring a car or taxi.

Cumbria
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport to Annecy from Geneva

I travelled from Geneva to Annecy by train on Friday 25th July 2008 returning Saturday 26th July 2008 .The cost was 71 euros for 2 adults. One change of train was involved at Aix les Bains . The trains where clean and comfortable and the scenery on route was superb. I think the journey time was about 2 hours with a 20 min. wait at Aix ies Bains.

Nearly all trains entering Geneva Cornavin (main city station) from the east stop there then continue and terminate at Geneva Airport station .Journey time of just a few minutes and frequency of 10 to 20 mins daytime.

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport to Annecy from Geneva

I travel from Geneva to Annecy regularly, and agree that it's HOPELESS to use the train. I have posted on this subject several times before, but briefly, the Frossard bus timetable is at http://english.frossard.eu/horaires.phtml

You can go to the Gare Routiere in Geneva, and buy the ticket either at ticket office. Cheap and comfortable. There is also a stop outside the main Geneva train station (Cornavin), but as there's no bus stop sign it's harder to find.

Taxis are expensive, but obviously the only option if you arrive fairly late at night, and yes you should order an Annecy taxi to come and collect you.Try http://www.annecy-taxi.net

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport to Annecy from Geneva

K8387 - on the Frossard bus timetable website you recommend, the last bus, leaving at 19.30 hrs, comes up whether I put in the starting point as Geneva Airport or Geneva Gare Routiere. Do you know if this means this particular bus actually departs from or calls in at the airport as well as the Gare Routiere? My nephew is arriving at the airport at 18.30hrs and if he could get a bus directly from there to Annecy instead of having to find his way to the bus station first(and risk missing this bus anyway!) it would be much more convenient.

London
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport to Annecy from Geneva

Hi

I have never found the bus at the airport, so I cant be sure - you could try contacting the Geneva Coach Station to ask them +41 22 732 02 30

If you do go into town from the airport, the train is very quick and regular (all trains go to Cornavin from the airport) Or you can get from the airport by Number 10 bus - departs approximately every 10 minutes to Gare Cornavin, which is the central train station. (SFr. 2.20 for adults, although they probably take euros too). 12-18 minute trip.

Gare Routiere in Geneva is the start of the route - the first stop is Cornavin, and as I have said, you will need to ask someone where to wait for it - it will save the time it takes to walk from Cornavin to Gare Routiere (approx 10 mins) if you do this