We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Bike Path in Annecy?

Which Annecy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
7 posts
Save Topic
Recommended Bike Path in Annecy?

hello, I and my wife planning to go to Annecy for vacation during September and we are interested in doing some pedalling =)

are there bike paths along the lake and are they difficult?

is it too far to try to get to some smaller villages by bikes?

thanks a lot =) any advice is appreciated!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,298 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Bike Path in Annecy?

The bike path runs about 30km south from Annecy on the western side of the lake and ends at the southern tip of the lake. It is flat (no hills) and passes through several towns along the lake. Keep in mind that however far you go from Annecy you'll have to use the same bike trail to go back to Annecy. I was there two years ago and if my memory serves me correctly there is no bike path on the eastern side of the lake. There may be portions of a bike trail but it is not complete. There is a plan to make to make a bike trail here but I believe that may not be complete for several more years. You can certainly ride the roads on the east side of the lake but you will encounter hills.

If you want to see some pictures of the bike trail and several other places around Annecy you can look at my photo report about my vacation there: http://tinyurl.com/3awectn

Talloires, France
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Bike Path in Annecy?

The circuit of the lake is a little over 28km. There is a cycle route to Veyrier. When this finishes you can drop straight down to the quiet lanes along the lake to Menthon Saint Bernard. Both have good 'beaches'. From Menthon there is a climb on past Echarvines and Les Granges. This can be quite a busy stretch. Les Granges is an excellent place to watch the paragliders. The is a fast drop on the newly widened road down to Talloires. This is one of the mos beautiful of the lake villages and has a great beach also. Continuing along on the clycle path to Argon, you can find camp sites and another beach. After Argon to the end of the lake there is no clycle path. The road is narrow and the traffic can be quite fast. I certainly wouldnt take kids under 9 along that stretch.

At the end of the lake the is a nature reserve which is a great 4km walk through woods and pathed marshes.

Continuing around the lake along the west side there is an excellent slowly undulating cycle path that tracks all the way back to Annecy. This cycle is good if you have children for safety and ease. I does sometimes leave the lake by some way but this serves to give a good view.

Lastly, through Annecy there is an excellent cycle path along the parks for the entire distance of the town.

Edited: 08 July 2013, 18:27
Hong Kong, China
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Bike Path in Annecy?

thanks for the information =) the travel report is excellent especially the pictures! made us wanted to go hiking as well but we probably don't have enough time.

after doing some more searching and actually going thru the path in google maps... I think we will go thru the easier western side on bike and go to Tallories on a bus.

in fact,can we go to Tallories with some sort of “shuttle boat” instead?

Talloires, France
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Bike Path in Annecy?

You can find the times and prices of the navette (boats) here... annecy-croisieres.com/en/general-public/disc…

Have a great trip!

5. Re: Recommended Bike Path in Annecy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 06:18