We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annecy.......Car or train

J L
Tigard, Oregon
7 posts
Save Topic
Annecy.......Car or train

Hi Fellow Travelers:

We are going to be in Annecy in mid-July. We will already have a Eurail Pass at our disposal from our previous travels through Germany, Austria and Switzerland. But we were wondering if it was worthwhile for the Annecy leg to purchase a car rental (Geneva airport).

Thoughts.......we are spending five days in Annecy and hope to do a number of day trips with hiking.

Many thanks!

La Vieille Ville
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Le Semnoz
Mountains, Hiking Trails
Gorges du Fier
Nature & Wildlife Areas
1. Re: Annecy.......Car or train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 January 2016, 22:14
Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annecy.......Car or train

If your intention is to just visit Annecy and do some hiking in the vicinity, relax at your leisure and visit a few of the towns/villages on the lake then you could do 5 days there without a car. But if you want to explore the area a car is best. Perhaps you might do a half and half and spend two days without a car and three days with a car. I think you may get a better rental rate if you rent for at least three days. If you'd like you can have a look at a photo report I wrote about spending two weeks on the Lac d'Annecy and it will give you an idea of the places you can see without a car and those that require a car. http://tinyurl.com/3awectn

J L
Tigard, Oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Annecy.......Car or train

Diz and French Mystique:

A very sincere thanks to you both for your suggestions. We're very excited to visit Europe and especially the Annecy area. Right now we're trying to sort out how we would ensure the proper insurance if we rented a car. Being from the States, our auto insurance here will not cover a vehicle rental in Europe. Our druthers would be to continue to use public transportation, but it seems that to get to some of the spots we hope to see (Chamonix area) train is not very doable.

Again, my sincere thanks. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Joe......Oregon, USA

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annecy.......Car or train

I don't know anything about car rental insurance but if you start a separate thread specifically about car rental insurance I bet you'll get some good answers as I've seen a number of posters here who know a great deal about car rental insurance who could advise you as to what your best options are. I've heard some people say that American Express has excellent and cheap insurance options for card members. But you'll get the most exposure by starting a separate thread about that topic.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annecy.......Car or train

Something I wanted to add that has nothing to do with your question but you said you will have a Eurail Pass and I don't know if you've purchased it already. If you haven't then you should compare the cost of buying point to point tickets vs. the cost of a railpass. For many long distance trains in Europe you can get very cheap prices by booking three months or more in advance. Rail passes may also require additional booking fees on certain trains in certain countries and seats available on some trains may be limited to pass holders. Maybe you've done the cost comparison already and the pass works in your favor but if you haven't done the comparison you might want to look into that.

madrid
Level Contributor
11 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annecy.......Car or train

Hi Joe! Let me know how your plans go - i am thinking of a similar idea! I'm irish living in madrid.

Talk soon.

J L
Tigard, Oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Annecy.......Car or train

Will do.......we're really excited about this trip.

Best wishes,

Joe

8. Re: Annecy.......Car or train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Annecy