We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Annecy worth the side-trip?

Which Annecy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Is Annecy worth the side-trip?

My husband and I will be flying into Geneva in Sep, with a plan to stay in Chamonix and Courmayeur for 10 days (we're hikers). At this point we're planning to just take a shuttle to/from the airport (with the bus through the tunnel), as this seems easiest.

I keep reading about how beautiful and lovely Annecy is, however, which has us wondering if it would be worth it to stop there for a night or two first. I also keep reading on different posts that the train service (our preferred method of traveling) between the Geneva airport and Annecy, as well as between Annecy and Chamonix, is not very easy or efficient.

We're interested in feedback on whether we should try to make the side trip to Annecy work, or just head straight to Mt. Blanc?

Thanks!

KP

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Annecy worth the side-trip?

If you can understand French use www.voyages-sncf.com to plan this journey. If you can't read French use www.capitainetrain.com. For general info about train travel in Europe use www.seat61.com.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,914 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Annecy worth the side-trip?

Hi

I google for blogs to find out about new places I plan on visiting. I found a few for Annecy that may convince why you should go, but did not look too hard to see if they have the how to get there for your case.

examples ellecroft.com/blog/…

this one has Annecy to Lausanne "We packed light and took a train to Evian-les-Bains so we could catch the ferry over to Lausanne for the night." which is another to get there. .....http://soupedujour.blogspot.fr/search/label/travel

as you will see on these blogs every blogger has a list of other bloggers they follow which is where I start looking.

A word of warning-browsing blogs can be addictive (-:

Chichester
Level Contributor
9 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Annecy worth the side-trip?

Yes absolutely worth a visit.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Annecy worth the side-trip?

Thank you for the feedback! I think we will definitely be trying to fit in a night or so in Annecy. And I agree .... reading travel blogs IS addictive!!!

5. Re: Is Annecy worth the side-trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:15