We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel with 7 y/o and skiing

San Francisco
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel with 7 y/o and skiing

Hi all,

We are headed to Chamonix at the end of January and would like recommendations for a very nice hote with easy, easy access to either ski school or the best area for kids to ski (adv.beginner). Am I crazy going over they with my 7 y/o? Neither us of speak French and I will be on my own most of the time.

Also, I'm assuming that for the two of us it is best to rent a driver to Chamonix as I've heard you don't need a car. Is that right or should I rent a car on my own?

Newbury,Berkshire
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel with 7 y/o and skiing

HI. I am not an expert on Chamonix so can;t help with the detail but do not worry about not speaking French. The Brits frequent Chamonix and all popular ski resorts speak english! Your 7 yr old will love it, I can assure you.

Have a great trip!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel with 7 y/o and skiing

Thanks so much!

Newbury,Berkshire
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel with 7 y/o and skiing

I have just remembered a great ski company that a friend of mine works for - it is called skisolutions - try out the website - skisolutions.co.uk. They will certainly be able to help.

Good luck!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel with 7 y/o and skiing

No problem if you don't speak French most people speak English.

If you want to walk to the skiing then it is either Les Houches or Argentiere.

All the areas are good just get your kid in a decent ski school. Try Panda Club www.panda-club.com. This is now run by Evolution 2 but the guys normally speak English. They will pick up in Chamonix and take your child to whereever they are skiing that day. But in the main it is Les Grand Montets.

Take a look at www.chamonix.com for accommodation it lists most of the guesthouses, hotels and self catering in the valley.

If you want piste side self catering try www.grand-roc.com. Ask for La Verte as this is next to the lifts and Panda Club.

From Geneva there is the public bus service, Alpy Bus or similar (there are some complaints about these guys on other posts so it is your choice) or rent a car (I always rent). This will cost something like 300euros a week.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel with 7 y/o and skiing

Your best bet is to contact the ski school in Chamonix. Here's the website - the text is available in English. http://www.esfleshouches.com/index_en.php

Your seven-year-old will love it there. Once his/your ability has been established, they will suggest which of the areas would be more suitable for skiing. Do not hesitate to entrust your child with the instructors. I've seen them in action and they are wonderful. (We ski with one of their guides for a full week while we are there.)

Language is not a problem and you won't need a car (it's difficult to find a place to park anyway). You can arrange for transportation to Chamonix directly from the airport and town shuttles to ski areas are at no cost with your ski pass or the ID card the hotel will provide.

As far as a place to stay, we prefer staying right in the town of Chamonix rather than the small villages nearby because of the wonderful streets for walking, the shops, the restaurants, etc. Because transportation is free, it's never a problem to get to other areas. Everyone speaks English so you'll never get lost.

As with most ski areas, those people who live in Chamonix depend upon the tourist/ski/climbing trade to earn their livings. We have always found the people affiliated with skiing and the outdoors to be most obliging. The people at your hotel will be doing the same thing you are doing and everyone is always willing to share information.

Do have a wonderful trip.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel with 7 y/o and skiing

lots of good advice here...

If you're a bit more social you could consider a place in a family-friendly catered chalet, perhaps?

I agree that Les Houches or Argentiere are best for what you want.

Les Houches is lower, nice tree stuff, relaxing skiing, excellent mountain restaurants, the most popular area for families. I've heard good reports of the Hotel Slalom there.

Argentiere is higher, less traffic noise, more of a high mountain village atmosphere, and is more compact. The Grand Roc apartments are great for self-catering - they don't look much from the outside, but they're surprisingly nice inside, and the views are great . The ones that have the original mezzanine floors are much the nicest. Or you could try the Montana which is supposed to be very good.

Both have astounding scenery and some nice bars and restaurants. I personally prefer Argentiere, for the matchless scenery and the exhilaration of the Grands Montets, but a lot of people with families prefer the gentler feel of Les Houches.

Unfortunately, it really is best to have a car in Chamonix, especially with a child, though the train's good too.

7. Re: Best Hotel with 7 y/o and skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 00:17