We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best month to go to Chamonix?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
127 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
When is the best month to go to Chamonix?

My husband and I are planning our vacation for next year.

We want one of our stops to be Chamonix.

We are interested in Alpine hiking, riding the gondola to the Alguille du Midi (taking the elevator to the summit) and then the small cable cars to Italy and back. We are interested in seeing as much as we can in the week we will be there... from there we will travel to Switzerland, Austria and Germany.

My question is for those who have gone before us... for non-winter sports sightseeing... what is the best "shoulder" month to visit Chamonix in? May or September... (or is it best to go with the crowds of summer)?

Your advice, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Italy
Italy
Europe
Austria
Austria
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the best month to go to Chamonix?

I think the last two weeks of June are one of my favourite times - the flowers are out, the lifts are open, the weather's good and it's not too busy. June is still very much shoulder season. Otherwise, the first two weeks of September are very good too - the weather is usually a little drier than June but you don't get the flowers. If you do end up going for high season, July, especially the first couple of weeks, is better than August which can get very hot for walking.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the best month to go to Chamonix?

I agree with Firebug. June early or late. No school holidays so it is less busy.

Good chance of nice weather also.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
127 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the best month to go to Chamonix?

Thank you to the both of you for your quick responses.

Please endure one last question... would the end of May be good as well... better than September? My husband can not take his holiday in June.

I thank you for your time!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the best month to go to Chamonix?

The weather is always indeterminate, good or bad.

Not sure which lifts are open as it is between the end of the ski season and the start of the summer.

I have been at that time and it is extremely quiet, I enjoyed it. In Chamonix it will not be a problem with shops or restaurants.

In Argentiere where I have a place restaurants take turns at closing but there is always 1 or 2 out of 8 open.

The supermarket will be open and the pharmacy.

The good thing is at the end of May the snow line is still around 2000m so you can , CAREFULLY, walk on the snow etc.

This does limit the higher level walks.

September, again weather is what it is, you are well into the autumn but the days can be stunning.

The shops will be the same as May but the snow line will be at 2800m so high level hikes are possible.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Argentiere
Argentiere
Chamonix, France
San Diego...
Level Contributor
127 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is the best month to go to Chamonix?

I truly appreciate all of this excellent information!

Thank you for your responses!

6. Re: When is the best month to go to Chamonix?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 05:18