We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cable Car: Start in Chamonix or La Palud?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cable Car: Start in Chamonix or La Palud?

Hi,

My husband and I would really like to do the cable car ride on the Aiguille du Midi. We will be flying into Milan, and we are wondering if it is better to start the cable car ride in Chamonix or in La Palud. These are our two options:

1) Stay the night in one of the towns on the Italy side (Aosta, Entreves, or Cormayeur). The next morning, take the cable car from La Palud to Chamonix. Stay the night at Chamonix, and take the bus through the tunnel back to Italy the next day.

Or,

2) First, ride the bus through the tunnel to Chamonix and stay the night there. The next morning, take the cable car from Chamonix to La Palud. Stay the night in one of the towns on the Italy side.

We're wondering if one way is more crowded than the other. Also, are there better accommodation options in Chamonix or in one of the towns on the Italy side? It seemed to us like Chamonix is much more convenient for the cable car ride, but we couldn't find much info. on the cable car ride from the Italy side.

We would appreciate any help!!

Thank you!

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cable Car: Start in Chamonix or La Palud?

Either will be good! I'd have a mild preference for arriving by cable-car and leaving by bus as it seems a bit more fun. I don't think it will make much difference really. Courmayeur is probably the easiest place to stay on the Italian side- there's a shuttle bus that goes to the lift base.

There are far more people on the Chamonix side but they all have to go out and back so it doesn't matter which direction you do it in.

The main thing is to check that the whole lot is running on your dates

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/index.php

(english version via flag at left of header)

2. Re: Cable Car: Start in Chamonix or La Palud?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2010, 05:18