We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children and Mont Blanc cable car

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Children and Mont Blanc cable car

Hi there

We are visiting the area and would very much like to take our children up to see Mont Blanc. Our children are 5 and 2, but there has been some doubt expressed about taking such a young child up due to the risk of altitude sickness.

As I know nothing about the subject I thought it best to ask people who live and work in the area. What is the minimum recommended age for travelling up the cable car and if it is not advisable to take a 2 year old so high, what would be the recommended height to go?

Obviously this is not an issue in the UK, so advice is limited!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children and Mont Blanc cable car

Don't think altitude sickness will be an issue. You have to spend a deal of time at high level.

However, the younger might have popping ears. Similar to aircraft travel.

The cable car goes up pretty quickly and your ears do pop.

Also it will be cold take jumpers or fleeces.

It never gets above freezing on the Aguile du Midi.

If you just want to take thme to a glacier take the Montenvers train. you can then go into the ice cave etc.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
981 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children and Mont Blanc cable car

From experience in high altitude in Colorado I know that dehydration is one of the things that can cause altitude sickness. Make sure everyone has been getting plenty of water to drink in the days prior to your trip up and it will make everyone feel better.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
428 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Children and Mont Blanc cable car

There's not much to be concerned regarding altitude sickness unless you plan on letting the 2 and 5 year old run around and exhaust themselves at altitude. As posted earlier, they just need to stay hyrdated [ie. be peeing clear]. By the way, I'm a former ski patroller and outdoor emergency care instructor in Vermont.

However, note that the cable car ride is TWO stages. You have to get off at midstation, then switch to another cable car. Then the elevator to the viewing platform could have a long queue. The space is quite limited. What I'm getting at, is that its likely dubious value for a 2 year old, who might lose patience with the whole trip. Although, my son was already skiing the top of some peaks when he was 2. But there weren't any queues. All depepnds on the maturity of your kids.

You didn't mention skiing. I hope you don't plan to ski the Vallee Blance with a 2 or 5 year old, no matter how talented.

Check out some of the photos from my webpage:

moonbrookhill.com/vallee_blanche_mer_de_glac…

I still need to update it with photos from our most recent trip, but the info is still valid.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children and Mont Blanc cable car

Thanks for all the advice, guys. We have been up in the Mont Blanc cable car before, but I had forgotten about the queues! Fair comment about getting bored and losing the point of the trip.

The railway ride to the Mer de Glace looks fabulous, they are both huge fans of steam trains, so that could be a really good comprimise. I guess there are plenty more mountains that are not quite so high or so popular, but a steam train to see a glacier?.....

As for stopping them running around, my son wants to build a snowman lol! We have tried to explain that it won't be practical, but when you are 5 anything is possible ;)

We don't ski, by the way, we are purely going up for the views and the snow in August.

Any other top tips gratefully recevied.

Thanks again

Hilary

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
428 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Children and Mont Blanc cable car

I don't think there's much snow to walk around in off the Auguille du Midi other than what's on the Arete, and you don't want to go there with youngsters.

But if you took the Montevers train, then the cable car and stairs down to the glacier, they can check out the ice cave and build a snowman as big as they want on the glacier. A shovel might help. Its quite a bit of a walk on the stairs [you'll end up carrying the 2 year old, and maybe the 5 year old too; its a long climb back up on the metal stairs]; the pics on my website doesn't really capture how long it really is. We actually switch to sneakers from our ski boots for the walk up the stairs after skiing the Vallee Blanche, to make the climb easier. Its a ways up.

While you're there, have a meal at the Hotel du Montenvers. Great restaurant with a nice patio, and lots of tables inside too. The kids can run around outside.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Children and Mont Blanc cable car

I would agree don't go on the arret without climbing boot and crampons.

However, if you want to let your kids play in the snow try the Grands montet top cable car in Argentiere.

You walk down a long long stair case and the glacier is flat and safe.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Children and Mont Blanc cable car

Thank you so much for the tip about the Montenvers train. We all loved it and my son was so excited he managed all the steps without a single grumble (though the 2 year old was in a backpack lol)

Fantastic day out and we managed to find a lovely restaurant down in Chamonix to cap it off

8. Re: Children and Mont Blanc cable car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 05:17