We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bahrain
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

Hi all,

I am planning to visit Chamonix and Mont Blanc from Geneva for a 1 day trip on October. While I was searching for a comprehensive tour on the web I found a tour for 9 hours thirty minutes for around 167 Euro per person. However, I came through some posts that suggested not going on October because I will not be able to enjoy the tour since the weather will be very cold. M y question is, since I am going to pay this amount of money, and from your experience guys, do you think that I have to look for other activities instead of this tour? (Please note that my tour will be either on 19 or 20 October).

Thanks in advance.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

Hi -

Check on www.chamonix.com and www.montblanc.com to see what facilities are open and whether any lifts will be running. Additionally, question the details of the tour and compare them to the two websites' information.

The temperatures at elevation could be quite cold at the end of October. Nights should be below freezing and daytime highs may not be above 5℃. At my elevation, a little over 1,400m, we expect only 11℃ later this week, and your destinations are much higher than are we.

Nantes, France
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

Hello,

The answer to your question depends largely on what is planned on the Tour you are looking to, and what kind of weather you are going to get there. If you are lucky, you could get a splendid late autumn, sunny, blue sky type of weather, and your trip is going to be great, with a magnificent view of the whole range of Mont Blanc, or you could get a rainy or cloudy day, and the trip will be less enjoyable, because you won't see much of the mountains. Yes, the weather will definitely not going to be warm, but I don't think this is the main issue here.

What you should do is take a train from the Geneve-Eaux-Vives train station to Chamonix. It takes 2 hours and 10 minutes, and it is going to cost you less than 40 euros, round trip. You'll then spend the day in Chamonix, and you'll decide on the spot, if the weather is right, to climb aboard the Aiguille du Midi lift, if this is what you want to do ! This way, you don't need to pay upfront these horrendous 167 euros for a trip that is worth 40.

Bahrain
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

here is my program as I copied the program from the web:

Spend the day in the Swiss mountains on a day trip from Geneva to Chamonix, one of Switzerland's most famous villages. You'll drive through the mountains, take a trip in a cable car to Aiguille du Midi for breathtaking views of Mont-Blanc and the surrounding Alps and board the charming red train to Montenvers.

Your mountain excursion begins with an unforgettable 90-minute drive through the picturesque Arve Valley from Geneva to Chamonix, at the foot of majestic Mont-Blanc, the highest peak in the Alps and Western Europe (15,770 feet/4,800 meters).

Continuing to Aiguille du Midi, a rocky peak close to Mont Blanc with snow year-round, you'll reach the summit in just 20 minutes by a two-stage cable car. The panoramic views of the Chamonix Valley and the French, Swiss and Italian Alps are spectacular! In the direction of the Swiss Alps, on a clear day it's also possible to see the Mattherhorn, Toblerone chocolate's famous trademark mountain. There are many terraces and balconies up at the Aiguille du Midi where you can enjoy views of the magnificent mountain ranges and watch skiers zooming down towards the glacier. There's also a cafe at the summit where you can have a hot chocolate and perhaps enjoy a light snack (at own expense).

After lunch in the village of Chamonix (included in the tour price), you'll take the comfortable electric railway to Montenvers, a vantage point with fine views of the Mer de Glace. This magnificent glacier is four miles (seven kilometers) long and averages just under a mile wide. You'll be riding the charming little red train that has been transferring passengers to the Montenvers site and the world-famous Mer de Glace glacier since 1908. Surrounded by the impressive summits of Les Drus, Les Grandes Jorasses and Les Grands Charmoz, the Montenvers site is the perfect place to learn about the largest French glacier and about nature in the Alps

Please advice if all the activities will be available during the period from 19 to 21 October and if not I am willing to find another program in this period

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

The trip price does not seem a bad deal.

However, it will depend on the weather. I have been in October, a few times, and had brilliant sunshine, rain and 4 feet of snow.

If it is sunny take a warm coat because on the Aguile du Midi it will be minus 13 degrees.

Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

The cost of the lift and train come to 60- 65 euros plus the train at 40 euros, so you are paying 60 euros for the guide and company.

Enjoying this trip will be really weather dependant. I wouldn't worry too much about the cold, you will need a coat up at the top of the Aiguille, (the views are amazing), but if it is raining or there is low cloud it would be a complete waste of money, and you would be better off going to do a day trip to Annecy.

Weather in Chamonix in October can be glorious or rain can set in for days so I would wait til you get to Geneva and check the forecast a couple of days before.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

Hi, I just came back from Geneva and Chamonix. Just like you we were first planning on taking a tour, it was 160CHF per person and didn't include tickets for any cable cars or mountain trains, so double-check if yours really include these. I wouldn't get excited about the lunch being included in the price neither as you have loads and loads of lunch options in Chamonix for as low as 10 euro. Transportation to Chamonix is generally expensive. A bus was quoted to us for 140CH pp and a 3.5hrs train journey from Cornavin station was about the same.

We did find the train option from Eaux de Vives. It was much much cheaper but unfortunately there is only one train in the morning and we missed it.

We rented a car on Geneva Airport (it was Sunday and everything else was closed) and it was 170CHF with GPS- more than the French train but much less than Swiss train, bus or any tour. The drive was spectacular, we were on our own schedule, there are free parkings in Chamonix (not in the strict center but it's a very small town). Weather was great - sunny and 20 degrees C. At Aguile de Midi it was about 15 degrees - still sunny though, although Mont Blanc was covered with clouds (which we expected anyways). The lift on top of Aguile de Midi is broken, but there are many beautiful terraces to be used. Just take a warm jacket with you and go - it's totally worth it.

If you decide to do both - Aguile de Midi and Montraverse train - but Montblanc pass, you will save 15 euro pp.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

I'd be just a little dubious about a tour that claims 'Chamonix, one of SWITZERLAND's most famous villages' - the French may have something to say about that !!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

On further thought I'd also comment that if you imagine that Chamonix is going to be a chocolate-box 'VILLAGE' (as the suggested itinerary describes) you'll be in for a shock . . . .

The train option, then, armed with information as to what is open and your assessment of the weather that day your choice of the Mer de Glace train, or the Aiguille du Midi, or the Planpraz - Brevent cable car (quicker and cheaper than the Midi, and giving great views of the Mont Blanc massif (if the weather is clear) seems a good choice.

Bear in mind that it gets dark earlier now !

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

Don't get the train if you can help it - it's really slow and you have to change several times. The coach is a much better option and I think there's an early one out and a late one back. The itinerary sounds fine but it's really easy to do yourself and then you have much more flexibility with the weather, in case of cloud/rain. At that time of year the weather can be literally anything from t-shirt weather (maybe not if you're used to Bahrain!) to snow, but it won't stop you enjoying it! Just pick a clear day!

10. Re: Chamonix and Montbalnc from Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2010, 07:16