We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,733 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

We are a group of hikers basically hiking at sea level areas.

Next year a friend is going to try to climb the Mont Blanc and we would like to be in the area for a week (for "moral" support). Would like to do some easy to medium-difficulty routes while there, without changing to much our accomodation area. Is that possible? Can anyone suggest an daily itinerary? Thank you

chamonix
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

Hi, Assuming that you will visit in the summer or autumn when there is no snow on the hiking trails, there are literally hundreds of kilometres of accessible walking trails. If you purchase an inexpensive map or one of the numerous guide books once here you will easily find good and suitable walking - especially if you use the ski lifts to gain a little altitude.

Not too much point in planning a weekly itinerary as you need to be a little flexible along with the weather. If you prefer to have things organised for you and to benefit from specailist knowledge you could employ an "accompagnateur or mountain leader" chamonix.net/english/mountain_guides/indepen… . A good leader will transform your trip and really take you to some special places. Depending upon your friends route up Mt blanc you may be able to accompany them for the first part.

Regards, Sean

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,733 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

Great link that you've sent.

Our usual group is 5-7 persons, not big, but we are all very different, that's why we try to have as much as possible an itinerary otherwise it can be difficult to get a concensus...

chamonix
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

Being so many an accompagnateur would not be very expensive and would save the decisions arguments whilst taking you to the best places at ..... (I am not an accompagnateur ).

If you like , I will have a look at some of the guide books available in the shops here & send you the names so that you could order one from Lisbon.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,733 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

Thank so much, please do. We still have a lot of time, so I'll manage to get them.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

There is a guide book you can by at any bookshop in Chamonix. I have a copy but for the life of me cannot remember the title.

I have bought 2 or 3 editions over the last 21 years and found it excellent combined with a walks map. Purchase both to gether.

The booklet details some fantastic walks for all abilities.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

It's called Mont-Blanc Trails. The Cicerone guide is good too.

Here's a list I made of five favourites.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19757-Five_Fav…

I might add to these sometime - an obvious one would be le Grand Balcon Sud or a downhill walk from Brevent via Bellachat & the Merlet. (these two have good views of Mont Blanc so might be nice for you)

An accompagnateur might well be a good idea, at least for a couple of days to take you to some less well-travelled places - they are also usually very interesting and knowledgeable.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,733 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

Hello, I've found the Cicerone guides and I think I can buy them on-line, going to try it.

Already put the 5 favourites on a list to check them after with the guides and our eventual accomodation location.

chamonix
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

Here is a great link for some if not all of the walking guide books:

chamonix.net/english/…booksmaps.htm

Regards, Sean

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,733 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

The link is already saved in "My Favorites".

Thank you

10. Re: Hikers who look for easy or medium routes summer 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 06:18