We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which lift pass to get?

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Which lift pass to get?

Going to Chamonix March 13-19th and trying to figure out if I need to get lift tickets ahead of time, and should I get the unlimited pass. My wife and I are expert skiers, but have limited experience in avalanche risk areas. We plan to ski 4-5 days and will likely hire a guide for one day for Valle Blanche or another off piste skiing. So, which pass option should we go for, and do we need to book a guide well in advance or can we wait until we are in Chamonix to book. thanks!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which lift pass to get?

I don't think there is any advantage in buying lift passes in advance other than possibly saving queue time. If you are planning the Vallee Blanche then the cost of the cable car up and the train down is nearly as much (possibly more) than the difference in price between the Unlimited and the standard pass. The standard pass doesn't cover the top stage of the Grand Montets lift at Argentiere either.

We did the Vallee a few weeks ago with a Ski Club GB party. The rep. arranged the guide and we split the cost between the group. It might be worth joining and skiing with the leader for a few days.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which lift pass to get?

Buy the Mont Blanc Unlimited if you are planning on doing the Valley Blanche it is far more cost effective.

You will need a guide for the VB but if you stay within the ropes you can have loads of off piste on Les Grand Montets.

However, If you have a guide it does open up a lot more possibilities.

You don't ski in avalanche areas. What you should do is take a look at the daily avalanche risk bulletin, posted at each lift station, and the flags.

Yellow is low risk, yellow and black chequered is medium risk and black is don't bother.

try this link

compagniedumontblanc.fr/plan_grandsmontets.p…

3. Re: Which lift pass to get?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 18:17