We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how is the waether like in mid october?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
how is the waether like in mid october?

we are planning on traveling in the area in mid october- is it good enough? si there still snow at the mountains top in october?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how is the waether like in mid october?

It depends what you mean by "good enough".

Do you want lots of snow or do you want less snow and better weather?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how is the waether like in mid october?

we would like to do some hiking- not to high elevation. i just want to make sure that there isnt to much rain at this time of year and that it is not too cold.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how is the waether like in mid october?

It can be literally anything at that time of year. It's really beautiful, but it's not at all uncommon for the weather to vary from t-shirt and shorts, to thick snow, over the course of a few days. This is true at both valley level and on the walks. It's a great time to visit, but I would make a contingency plan as bad weather is a distinct possibility.

edit - good contingency plans might be Annecy or Courmayrue

Edited: 04 July 2011, 17:53
Mentioned in this post
Annecy
Annecy
Haute-Savoie, France
Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how is the waether like in mid october?

Well said firebug. It is hard to know what the weather will be like. Here is a graph giving you the average highs and the average lows of temperature for Chamonix by month:

holiday-weather.com/chamonix/…avg_high_low

Closer to the time have a look here for the most accurate weather predictions in the Chamonix valley:

http://chamonix-meteo.com/bul/metPreEveEn.php

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how is the waether like in mid october?

thankyou very much!

from the link you give me- it seems that in chamonix the average is -5c degress, is that in town or at the mon-blan?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how is the waether like in mid october?

Hmm. I didn't study the graph very hard. I doubt that is the average temperature for the town or Mont Blanc.

From experience I would say the daytime temperature in Chamonix town in October would be between 5C-10C.

Mentioned in this post
Mont Blanc
Mont Blanc
1,210 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how is the waether like in mid october?

Those graphs are really weird aren't they? They seem to pop up everywhere! I think they might be the temperatures at the Midi.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how is the waether like in mid october?

Hi -

I'm not in Chamonix, but I am on the side of a mountain. In October 2010, at our elevation (1,260m), we had almost 2 metres of snow on our patio that was stable for about two weeks - and then grew by almost one metre more! You can't predict temperatures or snow accumulations for the shoulder months in advance. Reserve cancellable accommodations, just in case.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how is the waether like in mid october?

Here are a couple of Flickr photos that give a flavour of Chamonix in October.

Chamonix in Autumn:

flickr.com/photos/…

Montenvers (Chamonix mountain railway) in October

flickr.com/photos/…

You say you're travelling in the area - I would check the forecast linked above before going to Chamonix, and choose your days carefully. It's a quiet time of year so accomodation is unlikely to be a problem wherever you go. It can be absolutely stunning in Autumn, but a wet weekend there is really no fun.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
10. Re: how is the waether like in mid october?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 04:15