We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Parks around Chamonix

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
National Parks around Chamonix

Hello everyone,

Am off to Chamonix for a week and having read a bit about the area, I've taken in interest in Vanoise and Ecrins national parks. Is it possible to visit them on a day trip from Chamonix and still have a few hours left to hike?

The problem is that the official websites are in French so obtaining information on distance from Chamonix as well as hiking trails is quite difficult and I would hate to waste hours driving just to get there and not really know what to do with myself...

Cheers!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Parks around Chamonix

It depends where you go in either of these parks. It will take roughly 2-3 hours to get to the closest points from Chamonix. And then it depends what sort of hike you will do.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Parks around Chamonix

Try this

http://www.walkingthetmb.com/

Try Google Translate for the national park websites

Use www.viamichelin.co.uk for the driving distances

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Parks around Chamonix

You could - though I think you might end up spending an awful lot of time driving when you could have been hiking. I've done it, but only ever overnight, not as a day trip. A week is not that long for Chamonix, it's very varied and it's huge!

I'd suggest making a flexible plan as those could be a good option in case of bad weather - as is Courmayeur/ val ferret/val veny etc which are only half an hour away.

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Parks around Chamonix

Thanks, I've taken it on board and will probably leave it for next time...

I wouldn't mind though getting some feedback on my current itinerary:

Day 1 – aiguille du midi, helbroner, cormayeur

Day 2 - plan d’aiguille, mer de glass, montenver

Day 3- – Annecy, - mageve, route des grandes alps, ball trap, col des aravis

Day 4 - lac blanc + grand balcon sud

Day 5 – Sixt fer cheval, samoens, la vernaz,

Day 6 - lac borges, chanaz

Day 7 - free

Any helps is appreciated :-)

5. Re: National Parks around Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 15:10
Edited: 17 November 2015, 15:10
London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Parks around Chamonix

Day 3 sounds like a LOT to fit in one day. Annecy is lovely but Megeve as well?? Disclosure - I'm not crazy about Megeve. A bit too much of a posh resort for me, and criminally expensive.

Are you thinking of taking a bit of a road trip? via megeve to annecy, night in annecy, then on to chanaz and maybe back to geneva from there could be good, but doing all those as day trips from CHX is going to be a lot of driving. All lovely places though. Again, I'd keep the plan flexible and watch the weather. Courmayeur often has the opposite to Chamonix.

A few more suggestions

chaletlaforet.com/summer-in-chamonix/day-tri…

7. Re: National Parks around Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 00:15