We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities early December

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Activities early December

Hi, I am hoping someone can offer some advice. I have booked a weekend in Chamonix 3-5th December for my partner and my son who will turn 3 when we are there. As it is both their birthdays I wanted to book my son in for a ski lesson/creche and my partner and I in for a private lesson as neither of us have skied before. However, having been in touch with ESF they said the ski areas aren't open until 18th December as there might not be enough snow :-(

So my question is: do I cancel my hotel booking (i can get a full refund) and do something else or re-book for another time. Or should we still go and hope that there are other things we can do there. Does anyone know if you can do dog sledding or anything fun like that in early December that is suitable for all of us?

Thanks in advance.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities early December

Most of the activities won't go into full swing until the week before Christmas.

Over the last few years the ski area of Grands Montets (Argentiere) was open on weekends in November (depending on snow) and partially open every day. There is an ESF booth at the bottom of the Grands Montets lift station, maybe they will offer lessons if the slopes have been opened.

http://esf-argentiere.com/en/

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities early December

I think in this situation I'd cancel it unless you have a really good reason for wanting to go to Chamonix specifically. There are plenty of other things to do like the huskies, as you suggest, but that early in December is very chancy.

It was actually really amazing last year but that's no guarantee and you could very well be there in the pouring rain!

You'll have absolutely no problems with accommodation anywhere at that time as it's very quiet everywhere in the Alps, so you could be flexible about where you go and what you do according to the weather nearer the time.

It sounds like it would be a lovely birthday treat for your kids!

Looks like you're based in Geneva - I would keep Chamonix in mind, but investigate other possibilities such as Zermatt, Les Diablerets and Tignes, and make the decision where to go when you know more about the weather and snow conditions.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities early December

Totally agree with Firebug, Chamonix will be shut for beginners at that time of year. I think you could do it al;l but it would be like pulling your own teeth out to set it all up.

Go later , January, is always quiet and is low season prices or as Firebug suggests try Zermatt, Saas Fee etc

4. Re: Activities early December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 14:17