We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hilversum
2 posts
Save Topic
Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

Hi, this November I'm staying in Chamonix with two of my friends for three months with a company called Insted.

I'm curious if anyone knows how hard it is to get jobs before the peak season, or just any general information about Insted or chamonix.

And what kind of pricing could I expect with ski passes, renting boards etc.

Thanks!

// Kim Buro

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

Some employers require seasonal workers to start in November, others require you to start in December. The peak season starts all of a sudden when the Christmas holiday starts so a lot of businesses recruit quickly. There is usually a fair amount of preparatory work available before the season starts as well.

How much time do you intend to spend on the mountains? This will affect what pass to buy. There are quite a few different options for you. The same applies to renting a board, it might be cheaper to buy a second hand one when you arrive.

Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

I did a short course with Insted and enjoyed it. Usually your hours vary week on week so it can be difficult to plan work around it, unless you do evening bar work. November is a good time to find work, though it is not as easy to find as it used to be. You will need to get onto it as soon as you arrive.

Insted should be able to give you info on the lift passes and recommend local shops that may give you discounts.

Save Reply
3. Re: Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

My friend and I are driving to chamonix from Newcastle and intend to try and find bar work any advice on the journey, the job search or the best and cheapest hostels to stay in would be much appriciated ,we want to stay for approximately 4-5 months then continue further east .we are planning to arrive early next November any advice is valuable as we are travelling novices thanks

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

The journey is really simple, but at about 16 hours, a long one:

http://g.co/maps/4v7r6

I would suggest driving from Newcastle to somewhere near Dover and staying overnight. The cheapest ferries are available between midnight and 6:00am.

You have two ferry options from Dover; Dover to Calais or Dover to Dunkerque. The Dover-Calais route is quicker but the ferries are more expensive. The ferries on this route also operate more regularly so if you miss your ferry you won't have to wait long for the next one. Look up P&O and Brittany Ferries for prices. For the Dover-Dunkerque route there is only one company offering this service (Norfolk Line). Their ferries usually go every two hours but, as I have said above, they are cheaper.

The French leg of the journey can be done in one go. Whether your ferry ends up in Calais or Dunkerque makes very little difference to the journey time.

You will probably be able to find jobs when you arrive but you can start looking here:

www.chamsocial.com

http://cham74.com/

http://www.natives.co.uk/

The two cheapest hostels are:

Chalet Ski Station:

http://www.skistation.fr/

And Auberge des Pelerins:

http://www.fuaj.org/Chamonix-Mont-Blanc

Save Reply
5. Re: Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

Thanks that's been very helpful ,we will prob stay somewhere like a premier inn somewhere close to dover and go to calais ,I am looking forward to the trip very much and would be grateful for any help anyone can offer ,how are the roads going into chamonix ,would like to know about how the nightlife is,wondering what kind of bars and clubs there are and how the work differs from England

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

As the Mont Blanc tunnel is less than a mile from Chamonix, there is a dual lane carriageway almost all of the way. When you leave the main road you will have already completed the ascent to Chamonix height (1000 meters-ish).

If you arrive in November then the roads probably won't be snow covered but you never know. If you can afford it then buy a pair of snow chains for your car on the way through France. They are compulsory on some roads at certain times.

The nightlife is excellent. With all of the seasonnaires in town it's a little like a university town in the UK. Plenty of bars, clubs and pubs.

Work is the same as in the UK. Some employers have better reputations than others. Don't get a job working for one of the large companies (e.g. Crystal, TUI). They offer accommodation as part of the job but pay is very poor and working hours are long.

Save Reply
7. Re: Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

Thanks for the info, can't wait for the trip, anything u can suggest for us to contemplate is much appriciated, I'd like to be prepared,hopefully there's plenty of nice looking swiss and French girls,Haha a very important area of discussion

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

I'm afraid there aren't that many Swiss or French girls in Chamonix. British girls are far more numerous. However, men of all nationalities considerably outnumber the women.

Can't think of anything else, if you can think of any more questions then I'll be more than happy to start discussions.

If not, see you there.

Aberdeen, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

Hi there, would you mind if i ask how you have found Insted? I am considering doing course there all next winter and am struggling to find any reviews on internet.

thanks a lot

Alan

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Student staying long term in Chamonix with Insted

Not sure Brittany Ferries do Dover - Calais.

P&O are normally the cheapest of the direct routes I paid £30 for a midday sailing 10 days ago and we arrived early so got on an ealrier sailing. I like P&O , there is a Premier Inn in Dover about 1/2miles from the port. It is right on the main street.

However , if you pick the right crossing time it might be cheaper to stsy in a cheapo French motel so you have the crossing under your belt.

You may require snow chains or whatever. Buy them in Sallanches, about 20km before Chamonix, there are num#erous types avasilable from real metal things to snow socks. Prices vary from 30euros to over 100 euros so you pays yer money etc.

The best solution , though, are snow tyres depending on the tyre size and quality you are looking at 300++ euros for a set of four. I paid 330euros at FAP in Sallanches last dec. for 195/60/R16. I might be selling these when I return in December as I have changed my car. (Only a gentle plug).