We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

We are planning on skiing at Chamonix this weekend, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. We have not been there before. We will have a car and are staying at St Germain les Bains. Hubby and I are travelling with our 3 boys 13, 11 and 7. The boys are pretty good skiers.

Should we get the Mont Blanc unlimited pass, or the Chamonix le pass? Is there a ski school for the boys? When we get there where should we park the car? How long do the lifts take?

Thank you!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

If you have just three days then you will have plenty to explore in Chamonix with just the Le Pass. You might want to splash out one day/afternoon on a trip to the Aiguille du Midi.

Chamonix is split into 4 (5 including Les Houches) mini ski areas. They are spread out along the valley so car parking isn't central. From Saint Gervais you will come across them in this order as you drive into the valley: Les Houches, Brevent, Flegere (linked with Brevent), Grands Montets and Le Tour.

There are several ski schools:

chamonix.net/english/…ski_school.htm

ESF is well known and is quite easy to leave the kids for the day.

I've heard good things from clients about this one too:

http://ski-factory.com/

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

If you are staying in St Gervais why ski Chamonix ?

I relaise it is your choice but St Gervais is a good area and you will have a 30 - 40 minute drive to the Chamonix areas.

I know the reputation of Chamonix , I am living there, but I would not chose to drive 30 - 40 mins eachway when I have perfectly good areas on my doorstep.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

Thank you very much. Maybe we should do a day at each place, or would that be too confusing? Where is it likely to be not too busy? We dont want to spend too much time waiting for lifts.

Thanks again!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

If you are coming or the last 2 weeks in February then that is school holidays and all resorts will be busy.

That said I was skiing at St Gervais , today, and was extremely impressed with the lifts. I would think very little queing even at peak times.

Chamonix - there will be some queing to get to the mid-stations (this where the main skiing starts) but after that it should be OK

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

Thank you very much. Does the Mont Blanc unlimited pass include the cable car to Aiguille du Midi? maybe that is worthwhile if it does, I'll have to do some Maths. Where is the best place to buy tickets? Can you buy them on line and print out yourself?

Thanks again.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

Yes it does and it is an unlimited number of trips.

You can buy the Mont Blanc Unlimited onlinne at

www.ski-chamonix.info/Product.aspx?num=79

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

Thanks very much for your help. We did ski in St Gervais on Saturday, just over a week ago. The mountain seemed reasonably busy. We skied Mont Joux, Mt D'Arbois, Cote, Fontain, Tour, and Cabouche. I really did not like the cable cars, the method of getting into them seems quite strange, but seems to suit those who a really pushy. At one point my hubby and I and our 3 boys were split into 3 groups, with our 7 year old being left on his own. I wonder how many people are injured with people with handfuls of skis and poles pushing so much. We did enjoy the skiing though.

On Sunday we went to Aiguille du Midi in the morning. We found it spectacular and were amazed to see all the people that were skiing from there. We got the Mont Blanc unlimited pass, so after going to Aiguille du Midi we skied at Flegere, and briefly took the telecabin across to Brevent. That area was terrific to ski. Our younger 2 loved the green runs in the La Trappe area, and loved the bumpy bits on the sides of the runs. Oldest son, hubby and I loved the red runs.

On Monday we went back to St Gervais, as it was very convenient. We enquired about a lesson at ESF but you can only book group lessons if you are there for a week, not good for us who were only there for a few days. They did offer private lessons for 37 euros per hour, which we thought was a bit expensive. The younger 2 loved Mt D'Arbois, but preferred the Ideal lift, much easier for kids without the need to take off skis and get them back on again. Oldest son, hubby and I went up to L'Epaule and Mont Joly, but the best run for all of us was probably Finance and the red run next to the Monts Rosssets chair, which was a very good lift too.

In summary, we had a lot of fun! Thanks again for your advice.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

Thanks for the very useful information about the Saint Gervais ski area. Glad you had a good time.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

Hi everyone, I am planning a solo ski weeked staying in St Gervais. I've been skiing for 20 years, intermediate to advanced level. I'm not sure where I want to ski...but staying in St Gervais, is it realistic to go to Chamonix? Could I take the Mont Blanc Express, or would it be better to rent a car? I would really appreciate any tips.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skiing Chamonix, which lift pass? Ski lessons?

To get from Saint Gervais to the Mont Blanc Express you will first have to get to Le Fayet where the train station is. This can be done by bus or possibly the Tramway du Mont Blanc (more expensive).

The Mont Blanc express won't drop you directly at the lift stations in Chamonix. The closest will be Flegere from the Les Praz Gare and then Grands Montets from the Argentiere Gare. Both are no more than a 10 minute walk to the lift station.