We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moderate hikes around Chamonix...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Moderate hikes around Chamonix...

I'm organising a stag do in Chamonix in May. Anyone notice? There'll be 10-15 of us and at some point we would like to go hiking.

This is a group of guys, some of whom will be not be wearing ideal clothing and footwear and some of whom just straight up won't really want to be hiking. So we're not looking for any too time-consuming or difficult.

Ideally any routes would start and finish in Chamonix and, of course, we're looking for beautiful scenery throughout. Now, is that too much to ask? :)

Any route recommendations or hiking site suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moderate hikes around Chamonix...

In May you will be hiking along the valley floor as there will still be snow on the higher trails. Each year the snow line will vary so difficult to plan now, but wherever you walk in Chamonix valley you will be surrounded by fabulous scenery. You could look and see if the Tramway de Mt Blanc, starting in St Gervais and finishes in Les Houches is open. You could ride up to Prarion and then if not too snowy aw down to Les Houches.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moderate hikes around Chamonix...

Thank you. Valley floor sounds great already! I think this is going to be the most divisive part of the trip and I need to organise something that will keep everyone happy as possible.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moderate hikes around Chamonix...

In May you'll be looking at the valley floor walks, especially this may, when I would expect the snow to be very thick on the higher ones. Servoz will be lovely. The Gorges de Diosaz will be spectacular if open.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moderate hikes around Chamonix...

Try the Petite Balcon Sud from Chamonix to Argentiere. Lovely easy walk and there are bars at the end of it , buses or train back to Chamonix

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moderate hikes around Chamonix...

Thanks both for the information.

Lovely easy walk with bars at the end and transport back? Sounds like it was made for me, err, I mean, us!

I just checked out some pictures. The route and scenery looks perfect.

6. Re: Moderate hikes around Chamonix...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 22:22