We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

London
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

Hi

Thinking of going for a long weekend with friends. Can't ski due to knee probs. So need some ideas please for fair and foul weather activities.

Would love to do something fun in the snow that would be ok on the knees e.g. tobognaning (but I hear there isn't a deisgnated slope) or maybe the dog sledding? Anyway, would be good to do at least some fun 'activitiy' so I don't feel too envious of everyone else on the slopes.

Plus perhaps a day at a Spa? i love hot springs so if there is anywhere in the area I can sit outside in thermal waters I would be happy, even better if there are any sulphar springs! Anyway would prefer something beautiful, stunning outside that isn't one of the huge thermal complexes they have in mainland europe that basically look like an outdoor swimming pool (if poss).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Naomi

Chamonix, France
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

If you have a car, you could go to the spa at Pre St Didier.

http://termedipre.it/en/

The Hotel Aiglons have an outdoor pool, with sauna and steam room. They do a deal for a @@ euro lunch that includes access to the pool and spa.

If you book a treatment at the Hotel Albert 1er you can use their pool which a lovely place to laze away a few hours.

Have you tried Ski de Fond. If you stick with classic skis, your knees should n

be Ok. You can treat it as a walk in the woods, or get up some speed for more of a work out.

Take the lift up to the Aiguille de Midi for great views over Italy and Switzerland.The view is also great from the Panoramic restaurant at the top of the Brevent. Persuade your friend to meet you for lunch there.

Found this recently ... www.teresakaufman.com/PhotoWalk.php…

I haven't tried it but looks interesting either if you like photography or just to see a bit of Chamonix other than the town centre.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
London
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

All good ideas. Have not tried Ski de Fond, I'll look into tit. also perhaps snow shoeing might be ok....?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

Snow shoeing is a good idea, there are several routes around the valley:

chamonix.com/pdf/plan-itineraire-raquette.pdf

If you have already bought your lift pass then you can spend some time at the cafes/restaurants next to the first lifts. Then your friends can come and enjoy a drink with you while they are on the mountain.

Plenty of shops to walk around in Chamonix.

Other things to think about are visiting the Aiguille du Midi, Montenvers and sunbathing. That time of year can be quite warm (I'm sitting in the sun right now in fact).

Useful blog here: chaletlaforet.com/winter-in-chamonix/chamoni…

Mentioned in this post
Aiguille du Midi
Aiguille du Midi
5,886 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
London
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

Hello

No lift pass as yet but I guess I can just buy single trips as I want?

thanks

Naomi

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

It works out cheaper if you buy a pass for a few days or more but you can just buy day passes.

Alternatively you can buy a return ticket for most of the main lifts. E.g. if you want to go to the top of Brevent for a drink and a look around you can buy an allez-retour for €26.40.

As opposed to a Mont Blanc Unlimited for one day €51.50

Or a Chamonix Le Pass for one day €41.00

Mentioned in this post
Mont Blanc
Mont Blanc
1,192 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
London
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

Gawd, its not cheap is it! :) Which would you recommend at the nicest/best views for a trip up? Don't worry if none spring to mind, I'm sure I can trawl through the forum for suggestions.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

Aiguille du Midi is the highest at 3842 metres. It is well worth it for the view and to experience the altitude. I think it will also be the most expensive.

Going to the top of Brevent is nice too. There is a bar/cafe at the top which looks down the valley towards Geneva.

Mentioned in this post
Aiguille du Midi
Aiguille du Midi
5,886 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

Aiguille du Midi is a must. Another option is to take the bus to Courmayeur and spend time in the town. The food and scenery is quite different.

Mentioned in this post
Aiguille du Midi
Aiguille du Midi
5,886 Reviews
Chamonix, France
Courmayeur
Courmayeur
Valle d'Aosta, Italy
London
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

I won't have a car. Is there any other way to get to Pre St Didier and is worth the effort in comparison to the other options in Chamonix?

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
10. Re: Things to do for a non-skier in Chamonix mid March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:41