We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Nice to Paris

Omaha NE
2 posts
Save Topic
from Nice to Paris

My son and his 2 friends are backpacking in Italy, France and ending up in Barcelona. They'd like to travel from Nice to Chamonix to see the Alps and ride the lift up the mountain, but I can't find info on a train connection. Thought I read in "Rick Steve's" France guidebook there was a night train...

Guess they would go Nice to Paris, then back to Chamonix (have read posting of that NT), then on to Barcelona. Any ideas? THanks!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,995 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Nice to Paris

Here's a website from where you can preview potential train connections on a map. very useful.

…raileurope.com/map_of_europe/france.html

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Nice to Paris

You might want to re-post your question with Chamonix in thte title--Nice to Chamonix rather than Nice to Paris, which is misleading.

Omaha NE
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: from Nice to Paris

Thank you for your help!

mom1733

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Nice to Paris

I think they could get to Chamonix by way of Lyon and St, Gervais, but that would probably take 8 to 9 hours at least, I think. It would still be quicker - and I assume cheaper - than going all the way to Paris and back from there.

They can research timetables, fares, etc. at www.voyages=sncf.com

Alternatively they could fly to Geneva with EasyJet and then go by bus from Geneva to Chamonix. EasyJet also flies from Geneva to Barcelona so that might work out for them. www.easyjet.com

Their best - and possibly cheapest - option might be to rent a car in Nice and drive to Chamonix, dropping the car in Geneva and flying from there to Barcelona. But perhaps they don't want to/are too young to rent a car.