We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

I'm wondering how cold it will be on the lifts. What extra clothes do I need. Does it rain in June? Is it windy? I'm a wimpy Californian and I'm trying to pack light so I just want to bring the essentials. Thanks for your help.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

It can be anything , especially at 12,000 feet !

The one thing you can say about Chamonix is that , as far as weather goes, it is not boring !!

In June temperatures in the valley can be 28c to 30c on sunny days , down to 13c on rainy days.

The AdM never really gets above 0c , in fact it is normally minus something.

If you go there take warm clothes but you don't need arctic gear.

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

Thanks. Where is the valley? In the town of Chamonix? Maybe a packable down jacket and warm pants, gloves and hat? That's a lot gear to pack! Is it really worth going to the top just to see it?

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

Thanks. Where is the valley? In the town of Chamonix? Maybe a packable down jacket and warm pants, gloves and hat? That's a lot gear to pack! Is it really worth going to the top just to see it?

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

I'll second what redzed1 said. Been there a couple of times in summer and it was hot and sunny in the valley (the Valley at the bottom of Mont Blanc where Chamonix is) both times I went - obviously I wouldn't have been in bad weather to begin with. When I went last August it was hot in Chamonix but of course when you reach Aiguille du Midi it is below freezing. It was minus 5°C (23°F) the day we went. But the air is so dry in high altitude that you can be wearing short sleeves in those temperatures and not feel cold.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

leajea, redzed1 was speaking in degrees celsius. 28°-30°C is about 85°F so you wouldn't be needing winter clothes but rather summer clothes + a long-sleeved sweater for Aiguille du Midi.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 22:45
reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

Chamonix is the town in the valley

The valley is about 12 miles long and Chamonix is in the middle of it.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

...and yes, it is really, really worth it!!

chamonix
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

I second Firebug ! Well worth the visit as long as the visibility is good.

Long trousers , pullover & a windproof jacket should be enough. No real need for gloves if you have some pockets !

There are superb open air viewing platforms but you can easily get back into the heated indoor areas if need be, if its really cold watch out for the elevator served Southern terrace as you sometimes have to wait for the elevator to return.

9. Re: Weather in Chamonix in June-specifically Aiguilles du Midi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:42