We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Journey from Calais to Chamonix

Yorkshire
5 posts
Save Topic
Journey from Calais to Chamonix

We are travelling from Calais on sunday to arrive in Chamonix on 20th. Any great places to visit on route that are very french. have heard the Juras are nice. Not bothered about stopping in Paris

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Journey from Calais to Chamonix

Drove to Chamonix for skiing last year. My preferred route is the A26 to past Dijon and then take the N5 through the Jura mountains to Geneva, cut through the centre of the city to avoid the ned for a Swiss Vignette and then down the Autoroute to Chamonix. This is slower but much shorther than staying on the motorway as well as being more scenic. The view of the Alps over the Lake as you go over the last col is stunning.

If you aren't in a geat hurry then save some toll money by taking the N roads once you are south of Reims, particularly where the motorway takes a dogleg to Troyes.

Plenty of places to stop in old French towns and cities, it really depends on if there is anything particular you would like to see and how fast you want to travel!

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Journey from Calais to Chamonix

This should be useful for you

chaletlaforet.com/blog/driving-to-chamonix-s…

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Journey from Calais to Chamonix

Thanks for the link firebug. I just calculated that the I've driven this route 17 times over the last 7 years. Unfortunately I have never strayed off the motorway and always done it one day.

The most adventurous I have been is to go the KFC in Rheims for lunch/dinner.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Journey from Calais to Chamonix

I have done the N5 route and agree it is pretty good. In fact I will be doing it in late July as a break from the Autoroute.

No recommendations where to stop though.

We did stop at a small hotel, 20 years ago, near Poligny and it was OK. It is france so you have to try pretty hard to get a bad meal.

5. Re: Journey from Calais to Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:16