We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Topic
From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

We should be in Club Med Meribel Antares on the 10th February (Sunday), after a three days stay in Chamonix.

What is the best way to reach Meribel Antares? Train? Bus?

We were thinking about renting a car but I´ve read that by this time, there are great chances of problems on the road due to the snow.

Thanks!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

Your only practical option is rent a car. To get to the Trois Valleys (Meribel) you go through Italy or via Megeve/Albertville or Annecy/Albertville. Which ever way it is 2 hours driving. I have never heard of any, easy, public transport.

Another option would be to take a taxi but I have no idea how much this would cost.

I think the risk of the roads being blocked is the least of your problems.

Might be better not to go to Chamonix and travel directly from whatever airport to Meribel.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

French school holidays don't start until the 16th February this year so you will miss those driving issues.

UK school holidays are around that time though. And as Meribel has a lot of British tourists there could be considerable traffic on the only route into the valley.

Snow shouldn't be a problem until you reach the resorts. At that time last year there wasn't much snow but it was very cold.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

Ok...

I´ll start to plan this leg by car.

Any further info will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

Your GPS might try to send you via Annecy for this journey. A much more interesting drive is to go via Megeve. Like the following: http://goo.gl/maps/UKmEz

The road is sometimes closed in-between Megeve and Ugine so check before you leave.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

Yes... even better if it is a scenic route, no doubt!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

Make sure it is open, as Biarritz advises, it is not an autoroute by any wild stretch of the imagination. Also, ensure you have winter tyres on the car if you are going to do it as it will be icy.

Talloires, France
Level Contributor
368 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

You could always get a quote of a local taxi company and see how much it would be. Try http://www.alplinks.com/ or someone else based in Chamonix.

chamonix
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

Hi.

A taxi/transfer will cost in the region of 300 euros.

Jim

9. Re: From Chamonix to Meribel-Antares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 16:15