We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to stay in Charmonix & ski somewhere in Swiz

Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Is it possible to stay in Charmonix & ski somewhere in Swiz

Sorry don't have any experience in skiing the Alps. So, here goes with my embarrassing question. Is it possible to stay in Charmonix or elsewhere in France and somehow easily cross over to somewhere in Switzerland (either by skiing or shorter train). Husband and I would like to say we ski'd a bit in France and Switzerland.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
281 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible to stay in Charmonix & ski somewhere in Swiz

Hi have very little knowledge of Charnonix so can't comment but if you stay in Morzine or ales gets you can ski in Switzerland. Morzine, Les Gets and Avoriaz are all linked and part of the ski ing is in Switzerland. All three resorts re very good, the ski. Area is enormous - well worth a look.

If you require anymore info don't hesitate to get I. Touch agaib

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible to stay in Charmonix & ski somewhere in Swiz

You can access Switzerland from Chamonix but only by road/rail. Verbier is the closest resort at around 1 hour 30 minutes drive.

Technically you can ski the area of Le Tour (at the far end of the Chamonix Valley) from the four-man chair on the front it is a short walk to the refuge at the Cold de Balme. It is on the border with Switzerland: http://goo.gl/maps/6iTXI

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible to stay in Charmonix & ski somewhere in Swiz

Not in the Chamonix valley unless you are an experienced ski tourer.

The route Biarritz mentions is possible but it is all off piste (back country) not patrolled and then you would have to get back via a train and bus.

However, there is more than enough in the valley for anybody the only issue is you really ski one area at a time there are not inter-area links. Only Brevente and Flegere have alink but they are really one area nowadays.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible to stay in Charmonix & ski somewhere in Swiz

You can get a bus every thursday to Verbier in Switzerland, ask at the tourist office for details.

I would recommend Courmayeur in Italy rather than Switzerland if you want to ski in 2 countries - much nicer, closer, and a daily bus from Chamonix - again, ask at the tourist office as the buses must be prebooked.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 17:42
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
66 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible to stay in Charmonix & ski somewhere in Swiz

I didn't' find the tourist office so helpful. Outside the train station is a wooden shack and they sell tickets to Courmayeur. The woman there also not so helpful, but I took the bus last week and it worked quite well. 14 Euros is you have the Mont Blanc unlimited lift pass. Courmayeur is a really cute town with a charming pedestrian area. The mountain hut restaurants are good and I would go to Maison Vieille or La Fodze. The runs are mostly begginer and intermediate so one day is enough. Very pretty.

6. Re: Is it possible to stay in Charmonix & ski somewhere in Swiz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 07:19