We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

Im planning a day to trip to Chamonix in mid august and was hoping to take the cable car to the top of mont Blanc. I assume the temperature will be close to zero at the peak, so I was wondering if anyone knows where you can hire warm jacket and pants for the day so that we dont freeze in chamonix and what cost would you be roughly looking at.

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

The cable car goes to the top of the Aiguille du Midi, not Mont Blanc.

It can be cold but in August it's unlikely to be so cold that you'd need to hire anything. You'll need a warm jacket for the evenings anyway - just take that and some warm layers, and you'll be fine. A scarf and hat might be useful if you really feel the cold.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

There is a store Quechua on the Ave Aguille du Midi that sells cheap fleeces. But you will only need a jumper and a shirt.

I would only go on a clear day, you will not see anything if it is cloudy thus wasting your money, and if it clear the sun will be out and it will feel warm

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

Thank you so much that makes life a bit easier. From Geneva would you recommend getting a shuttle from the airport or the train.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

Easiest is shuttle from the airport - the train is roundabout but scenic. Perhaps get the train on the way back?If you like trains, it's very enjoyable. Especially the route via Martigny. 3 hours minimum for this though!

Shuttle is best and fastest for the way there. Try and get an early one if at all possible. The light is lovely in the morning and the tour buses tend to arrive around 10am, so it's much nicer to get there before then.

edit - I agree, it's pointless going if it's not sunny :)

Edited: 15 July 2013, 11:10
Talloires, France
Level Contributor
360 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

I'm with the others - just put a few layers into a backpack. A hat and gloves can come useful if it is windy but don't bother going up on a bad day. You can see a live webcam feed at the ticket office so you can decide for yourself. In my opinion it is well worth going over on the Helbronner cable car to the Italian side as well. We loved travelling above the glacier! It was actually my favourite part of the whole experience!

Getting the train from Geneva airport takes a lot longer so I would go by bus or shuttle. SAT is the bus company and there are many shuttle companies with a timetable like Chamexpress, Alpybus, etc. You can also fire off a request on http://www.findtransfers.com/default.asp that goes to quite a few local companies and compare those.

Have an awesome time!

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

Thank you all you have been so very helpful. Fingers crossed for sunny weather

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

We went up in August 2009. It was cool at the top, but not freezing. Some photos are at www.nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/Chamonix.htm

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

Totally agree about the Hellbronner. It really is well worth it. For me, the most spectacular experience that the Midi has to offer, and the closest you can get to the sensation of being alone in the mountains. It does take quite some time, so another reason to go early!

9. Re: Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 December 2015, 18:02
Edited: 29 December 2015, 18:02
Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothing Required for day trip to Mont Blanc

We went up last year in July, and we had taken suitable clothing, base layer, fleece, windproof jacket, hat, gloves. All these items easily packable though. It was well below freezing, and quite breezy, so even though it was sunny, we needed the gear. There was still a lot of snow from just above Plan D'Aguille. In the valley though it was warm, didnt need anything warm for Chamonix itself, and its a casual town, so no need for formal attire in the evenings. Enjoy.