We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-day itinerary mid-October - Departing from Nice

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
301 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
3-day itinerary mid-October - Departing from Nice

Hi guys! I need some help here to decide how should I go to Chamonix from Nice

DAY 1 - Depart early morning from Nice (which way? Italy or France?)

DAY 2 -

DAY 3 -

DAY 4 - Depart early morning from Geneva airport.

Some useful information:

- I'll be renting a car

- I would like to know at least Chamonix and Annecy

- On the way to Chamonix or Annecy, I would like to take a scenic route, but I also wouldn't like to spend much time driving! I don't have much time!

- I was thinking to make a stop in the way to Chamonix/Annecy. Maybe in Lyon if I go via France or Torino if I go via Italy. I don't know if it's worthy! Maybe I should go directly to Chamonix/Annecy via Italy (fastest and cheapest, right?) due to lack of time...

- I don't know Geneva. Since I plan to take a flight from there it would also be a good idea to get a taste of the city.

What do you recommend???

If I choose the Italian way, Is there any restriction to drive a french car there?

Regards!!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-day itinerary mid-October - Departing from Nice

There is no restriction driving a French rental car via Italy.

Not really sure if you want to visit Chamonix and Annecy or just one of them.

If you only go to Annecy I would drive totally in France.

I think the route to Chamonix is shorter via Italy but it will cost €26 one way via the Mont Blanc Tunnel.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
301 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-day itinerary mid-October - Departing from Nice

I would like to go to both places! I didn't know about the high toll to cross the tunnel. Actualy if its faster it would work for me. I think the best option would be to start in Chamonix And then go to Annecy, since it is closer to Geneva.

Amy other tips?

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-day itinerary mid-October - Departing from Nice

I would get a route from Viamichelin.com

You can put in stop off points, avoid tolls and other filters

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
301 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-day itinerary mid-October - Departing from Nice

Guys,

I managed to change the departure time a little bit so that I can enjoy the last day in Geneva.

DAY 1 - Depart early morning from Nice (which way? Italy or France?). Sleep in Chamonix.

DAY 2 - Chamonix (What to do in 1 day?) Sleep in Chamonix.

DAY 3 - Drive to Annecy (What to do in 1 day? Should I also go to any neighbor towns like Aix-les-Bains, Chambery etc. or there is nothing different to see out there?). Sleep in Annecy.

DAY 4 - Go from Annecy to Geneva early morning; Enjoy Geneva; Depart 6PM from Geneva Airport.

I searched routes on google maps and viamichelin. It didn't help a lot since I don't know anything about the area.

I do need some help with the itinerary and I have a few questions:

1 - It seems that Italy is a shorter and more scenic route from Nice to Chamonix. Am I right?

2 - I wouldn't like to drive all the way from Nice to Chamonix without making a stop or a couple of stops to visit a few places in the middle of the way. It would be OK to arrive in Chamonix at the end of the afternoon. Where should I stop? What do you recommend?

3 - What to do in Day 2 in Chamonix beyond Aiguille du Midi cable car?

4 - On Day 3 I intend to drive to Annecy. What should I do there or on the way to Annecy?

5 - On Day 3 Should I also go to any neighbor towns like Aix-les-Bains, Chambery etc. or there is nothing different to see out there?

best rgds!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
301 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-day itinerary mid-October - Departing from Nice

Nobody?

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-day itinerary mid-October - Departing from Nice

Your day in Chamonix take the Aguille du Midi trip and Montenvers.

7. Re: 3-day itinerary mid-October - Departing from Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:21