We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Geneva Airport from Chamonix for 9 am flight

New York City
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Geneva Airport from Chamonix for 9 am flight

We have a flight at 9:15 am back to the states on Monday February 17, and are staying the nite before in Chamonix. Whats the best way to get to the airport by 7:00 am from Chamonix? Taxi? Do shuttle buses go that early that can be booked? If a Taxi what would the cost be?

Thanks for any info.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,942 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Geneva Airport from Chamonix for 9 am flight

Shuttle buses will go that early or if you want peace of mind then book a private transfer. You can find all the various companies listed in the Top Questions at the top right of this page.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Geneva Airport from Chamonix for 9 am flight

Not too sure about the shuttle buses as Chamexpress', I use them regularly, earliest departure is 06:30 which is scheduled to arrive at the airport at 8am. Too late for you.

Mountain drop-offs might be able to help.

But I think for peace of mind I would take a private shuttle/taxi.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,942 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Geneva Airport from Chamonix for 9 am flight

Of the transfer companies who use larger vehicles (Chamexpress and Alpybus), their earliest shared transfers are at 06:30. All of the other companies offer shared services earlier than that.

chamonix
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Geneva Airport from Chamonix for 9 am flight

To answer your question about cost of taxi/private transfer it would be about 160/170 euros at that time.

New York City
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Geneva Airport from Chamonix for 9 am flight

Thank you both for your replies. Of the smaller shared shuttles that will leave earlier than 6:30 am to make a 9:30 am flight, would you have one that you would trust / recommend more than the other?

Thanks again

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Geneva Airport from Chamonix for 9 am flight

I would call around the companies with your flight times, as you might well want to go for an earlier transfer if possible.

3 hours is normally OK, but it's peak season, there could be snow on the road, there could be delays, you'll have lots of bags to deal with and it will be a very big deal if you miss a transatlantic flight. So it depends if the transfer leaves Chamonix at 6.30, or if it begins the pickup rounds at 6.30.

I'm normally pretty cavalier about transfer times and don't mind cutting it a bit fine, but I very rarely have any luggage, I know exactly where I'm going in the airport, and worst case scenario, there are loads of flights to the UK so I can generally work something out if I don't make it. In your situation I'd be a bit more careful. Better to have a boring hour or so in the airport than risk missing the flight.

You can call around yourself - I personally use Mountain Dropoffs, Cham-van and would try them first, and occasionally chamexpress or alpybus - or call someone like Chamonix Valley transfers who I have also used regularly and would recommend, especially if you're having problems finding one. But on that weekend, I am pretty certain they will be running very early ones, and I would book them now before they fill.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
86 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Geneva Airport from Chamonix for 9 am flight

I used Mountain Drop Offs. I was the first pick up and they were early, but I was early too so we got a head start. We would have been perfectly in time to the Geneva airport except many of the roads in Chamonix were blocked off due to the TMB race, so navigating to get the next clients was a challenge, and then they were late. So I got to the airport with just the right amount of time, but I love to be super early so I'm not rushed....it wasn't their fault though. The driver was super nice and helpful. The other passengers were also super nice. I would use them again.

8. Re: Getting to Geneva Airport from Chamonix for 9 am flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 06:19