We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planned visit to Chamonix

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Planned visit to Chamonix

I'm planning to visit Chamonix in September 2014 and would appreciate some advice on how many days to allocate to visit Aguille du Midii, ice cave and go to Pointe Helbronner? Not sure on cable car connections and timing? Would you recommend any 1-2 days treks around the area.

Thank you

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planned visit to Chamonix

There are really no treks around the AdM or Helbrunner (which might not be open anyway).

That is unless your are into high mountain climbing.

1 day is sufficient to do AdM and Helbrunner and the Montenvers , Ice Cave.

There is a fantastic walk from Montenvers to the Plan de Aguille (the AdM mid station) or do it the other way round. It takes 2.5 to 3 hours.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planned visit to Chamonix

Thank you very much, I'm not into mountain climbing at all, I do some trekking and recommended walk sounds very appealing. Is it possible to continue walking from PdA to Chamonix (and how long would it take) or would we have to take a cable car.

Thank you once again

3. Re: Planned visit to Chamonix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 14:06
reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planned visit to Chamonix

You can hike back to Chamonix from either the Plan de Aguille or Montenvers.

But not from the Aguille due Midi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planned visit to Chamonix

Thank you very very much

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planned visit to Chamonix

Thank you very much it's been very helpful

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Planned visit to Chamonix

Bonjour,

I am planning to visit Chamonix and Annecy in early February 2014. I am unfamiliar with what to do in Chamonix but is one day enough to see the main sites? Is there any preparation that have to do before arriving or is it simple to get help on what to do? It might save me some time if I know what I am going to do before arriving. e.g. What lift should I take? What is the approximate duration of lifts? One or two rides would be enough for me. I just saw this place which looks awesome: www.feeldesain.com/chamonix-skywalk.html

Also you may refer to my other post about the trip to France here: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g187070-i12-k70…

Merci d'avance.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planned visit to Chamonix

One day is enough to do the Aguille du Midi and Montenvers.

The AdM takes about 20 minutes each way and allow 2 hours at the top.

Montenvers train is about 30 minutes each way and again allow 2 hours.

You will need warm clothing and boot/shoes

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Planned visit to Chamonix

Great, thanks. Should I (or can I) purchase the tickets for these places online now?

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planned visit to Chamonix

Yes - but there is no real need. The day before or walk up to the Montenvers ticket office on the day.

If the weather is cloudy and snowing (EG. great winter weather) then it is not worth doing.