We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8-10 day self guided Mont Blanc trek

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Deal, Kent
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
8-10 day self guided Mont Blanc trek

Hi there, I am looking for some advice on trekking the Mont Blanc region, staying in mountain huts or inns.. Would folk recommend to book direct and plan your own route or find a holiday company and get them to make all the relevant bookings?

Have had a quick look online and it seems an expensive option to book huts direct, would anyone agree?

Can anyone recommend any good guides or trek companies?

Cheers...

UOT
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
226 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8-10 day self guided Mont Blanc trek

We are leaving in a few days...I did all of planning myself and it was a lot of time & effort but picking the huts wasn't that time consuming, it was all the other research I would have done anyway--researching the huts the company put us in, the distance in between, what we should expect, etc. I started with the Ciceron/Kev Reynolds book and a few sites online. I think it all depends on the type of planner you are. I was willing to save money and do some legwork myself knowing I would do it anyway.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
86 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8-10 day self guided Mont Blanc trek

Ideally, I would have planned and did this trek myself, but being a solo traveler, and planning the prior 5 weeks of travel in France/Germany was exhausting, so I did it through a company. I have no regrets. It is singly the best trip I've ever done. I lucked out with fantastic weather, and an even better group of people to hike with. Not having to worry about logistics made it really a vacation. Having a guide was nice, but not necessary for an experienced hiker. It was nice to have someone who had been there before to make suggestions on where to eat or not and knew the mountain weather. I was seriously skeptical about paying the extra bit to have it "guided" but really, at the beginning it just felt like a facilitator who was wrangling a random bunch of hikers to do the same thing....to at the end, a group of friends hiking together....

3. Re: 8-10 day self guided Mont Blanc trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 07:16