We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

Hi,

I'm looking to spend a night in Chamonix and do the Aiguille du Midi cable car, compagniedumontblanc.co.uk/en/… along with the gondola ride to Helbronner. What I'm not sure about is the ride back on the gondola from Helbronner back to Aiguille du Midi (and then back to Chamonix)? The price of 80eur on the website shows Chamonix-Helbronner, so I'm not sure if the 50min ride they say is a round trip from Aiguille du midi to Helbronner or just one way?

I have tried calling them and they have said its a round trip, but information was given in a roundabout way and I'm not sure, so if anyone has done this, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Also, I've been told this is 2-3 trip and that I can do the Montenvers rail trip in 2 hours after this. Is this a feasible option for first week of September?

Many thanks!

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

It is a non-stop round trip.

The cabins slow down at points so it is easy enough to take photos of the spectacular scenery.

England, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

thanks redzed! so the round trip takes 50mins i'm guessing? and alongwith 20mins up the cable car, it would be a total of 2-2.5hrs max? so that would give me a chance to take the montenvers rail for mer de glace?

i have to take the train at 3.45pm from chamonix. so intend to have an early start and do the aiguille du midi at 8.10am.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

That may be a tall order.

20mins from Cham to AdM

50 mins Panorama

If you do the Step Into The Void add 30 mins

Plus 10mins between each of the above

Waiting around for the cable car down , could be 60mins if it is busy.

So if you really rush look at 2.5 to 3 hours.

This will take you to noon(ish).

You need to add at least 2 hours for Montenvers.

The Montenvers and mainline stations are only 5 mins apart.

If you start at 8am you can do it but i wouldn't rush around as the AdM is really spectacular and at that altitude running around will not do you any good.

England, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

will see how it goes, i know time will be short, but there was no other option to get back to paris that day! i'll take the 80eur tour, that covers panorama view of mont blanc, and then see if i have time to do the hike from plan de l'aguille to mer de glace, which is 2.5hrs. if time isn't sufficient, i'll be content with coming down by cable car back to chamonix!

thanks redzed :)

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

I have found that quoted times for mountain hikes may be realistic if you are young, fully fit and properly equipped, and know exactly where you are going, but otherwise it is better to add 30 to 50%.

Hurrying on a mountainside because "you've got a train to catch" could add your name to this year's list of fatalities in the Chamonix area. These are serious mountains and the deaths don't always occur above the snow line.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

I really do not think you have time to do the hike; it will take 2.5hrs and given the really wet weather, this summer, will be a bit slippy underfoot.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

I agree - I really think it's very tight in that timeframe. If you didn't have a 3.45 train it's doable, just about, in a day. But with that as a cutoff, I would say - do the Panoramique, it's really amazing. Take your time, enjoy yourself at the Midi.

If you find that you are back down at the mid station (Plan de l'Aiguille) by 12.30 absolute latest, you can go for the hike. (2.5 hours, not via Forbes Signal - plus waiting for the train, plus getting back down, plus getting to the station. Personally I have to say that I wouldn't do it. Too many unpredictable factors like crowds delaying you. And what Becasse says :

"I have found that quoted times for mountain hikes may be realistic if you are young, fully fit and properly equipped, and know exactly where you are going, but otherwise it is better to add 30 to 50%."

is absolutely true. You really need more time than that to take pics etc and to allow for breathlessness due to altitude, unless you are extremely fit.

I would suggest a walk to Lac Bleu from the mid station so that you do get out, it's only about 15 minutes, and a nice place to take in some mountain air in relative peace after the Midi. With a stroll around, it can make a pleasant hour's walk without the commitment of having to get to Montenvers.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 13:35
England, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

just to update everyone... im back safe and sound from chamonix... had the most wonderful time, did the aiguille du midi tour, unfortunately the panorama gondola was closed (probably due to clouds looming around mont blanc), so i spent extra time admiring the mountain range and chilling up top and then did the hike, which took 2h45m, and then took the gondola to ice cave, and climb the stairs back to the gondola which took me to montenvers train station... and then took the train back to chamonix and waited at the station for my paris train... had enough time to stroll around the shops and cool myself with an ice cream cone... it was nice and hot and sunny!

thanks everyone for your advice and tips! appreciate it :)

9. Re: Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi tour with Helbronner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2015, 05:15