We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chamonix..... nice or not!!!

Which Chamonix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Chamonix..... nice or not!!!

My husband wants to return to Chamonix in June, he has not been there for 35 years so I guess things will have changed! Looking at pictures on the web, it seems to be quite a sprawling place now and not that pretty???!!! Maybe I would prefer somewhere more quaint that has retained its original feel but still has a few places to eat etc. Can anyone suggest villages nearby Chamonix that would fit the bill?

many thanks.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chamonix..... nice or not!!!

Chamonix is a large small town , if that makes sense.

I woiuld stay in Argentiere, 6kms up the valley. We have owned an appartment there for 17years and it has not changed. It is still 2 streets and a few shops and restaurants.

if you have a car travelling around is really easy. If not there are buses and trains, but they do stop at 7pm or there abouts.

London
Level Contributor
601 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chamonix..... nice or not!!!

I'd second Argentiere, though it's handy to have a car there, or Les Praz which is also very pretty and much closer to Chamonix - about a 20 minute walk or 5 minute drive. There's a few nice hotels there including the Eden

http://www.hoteleden-chamonix.com/

and four or five restaurants.

A few hundred metres from Les Praz is Les Bois which has the very charming and traditional La Prairie hotel - can't find a pic online but a review here

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187261-d621…

and a lovely restaurant - Le Sarpe

June's a great time to go, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip.

3. Re: Chamonix..... nice or not!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 08:17