We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Courchevel full of Russians?

Which Courchevel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woking, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Is Courchevel full of Russians?

I have heard that Courchevel is full of Russians, that they are aggresive in the queues, that they domimate the bars, and cafés, and generally make the place unpleasant. I spent a season in Courchevel in the 1980's and have the most fond memories, I don't want to ruin it by going back there and having a bad holiday with my family.

Meribel, France
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Courchevel full of Russians?

Hi Lynda

I'd say that's quite an exaggerated picture of Courchevel. It is a popular destination with Russians over their Christmas and New Year holidays (first two weeks in January) but if you are worried you could give Meribel a try. All the benefits of skiing in Courchevel excellent chalets, bars, restaurants and more.

Check out companies in Les Allues for a more traditional village feel.

Have a great holiday.

Heather

Woking, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Courchevel full of Russians?

Thanks Heather, I'll take a look.

Lynda.

Talloires, France
Level Contributor
358 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Courchevel full of Russians?

Hi Lynda,

I have worked in Courchevel for 3 winters and never had any issues with Russians - they make for an entertaining sight with all the fur on them but they mix in with everyone else. For a family holiday I would look at La Tania or Le Praz (Le Praz has better bus connections with the other levels but the ski back to La Tania is nicer).

Just be careful where you go in 1850 as prices have got ridiculous in some places.

Woking, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Courchevel full of Russians?

Thanks for the advice, Dia-baz.

Lynda. :))

Poole
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Courchevel full of Russians?

Just seen your message, guess you have booked by now. We have holidayed in 1850 for New Year week the last 2 years and enjoyed it greatly. Yes its the most popular time for Russians as its their main holidays and prices everywhere for hotels and meals out are absolutely maximum cost but have always found them very amenable, if a little bit loud at times, but usually very jolly and no problems in lift queues, for us anyway.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,699 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Courchevel full of Russians?

Lynda, you are needlessly talking smack about my people. We really should rise above the little biggoted comments in the 21st Century.

7. Re: Is Courchevel full of Russians?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Courchevel