We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from airport to TGV station

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
from airport to TGV station

I bought ticket to fly to Paris CDG, transfer flight from CDG to Lyon. I plan to take TGV from Lyon to Avignon. How do I get from Lyon airport to Lyon TGV station? Do I need to take a shuttle? or is the TGV station close to the airport? I'd like to buy the TGV ticket in advance. How much time should I allocate between the air arrival and train departure? I assume all the immigration and custom will be taken care when I land at CDG. Am I correct? Thank you in advance for your help.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from airport to TGV station

There is a TGV train station at the airport, but not the one to get to Avignon. So you will have to go to La Part-Dieu train station.

You have a shuttle from the airport to the city center, called Satobus, there is a bus every 20', and it will take 30' to get to the train station. The cost is 8.60 € per person for a single trip.

Routes and schedules on this website :

http://www.satobus.com/welcome.html

I would not make a train reservation less than 2 hours after your flight arrival : you'll need time to get your luggage back and for immigration and custom, and you may have to wait 20' for the shuttle.

The immigration and custom will not be done at CDG; as you will be in transfer you'll stay in the international zone, it will be done when you'll get your luggage back in Lyon.

Here is the SNCF site to buy your TGV tickets :

http://www.voyages-sncf.com

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from airport to TGV station

Thank you. It really helps.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,709 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from airport to TGV station

>I bought ticket to fly to Paris CDG, transfer flight from CDG to Lyon. I plan to take TGV from Lyon to Avignon.

That's probably a bad idea - you could have been faster by just taking a direct TGV from CDG to Avignon.

I am amazed there are still flights between Paris and Lyon. OTOH, it might very well be that your "flight" from CDG to Lyon never takes off from the ground. I have seen that SNCF "code shares" with Air France, or did so for a while at least.

Only-lyon - one stupid question, which line the Satolas airport station is on? The one to Grenoble, or which?

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from airport to TGV station

Yes there are still several flights a day between Lyon and Paris ! Most of the traffic is business: it is still interesting to take the plane if you go south to Paris (through Orly) or north of Paris; lots of companies are not located in the city center! The other part of the traffic is connecting flights, as Saint Exupéry is not big enough to offer all destinations.

The Saint Exupéry TGV station offers 10 to 14 trips a day to Paris. Yes it are also the eastern line for Grenoble region (very convenient for parisian going skiing), Annecy and Italy. There are also trains to south.

Lyon
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from airport to TGV station

Hi guys,

For yr info, current TGV timetable from Lyon airport to Avignon on weekdays :

Depart 8.52am / arr 10.25am

Depart 12.43pm / arr 2.20pm

Depart 8.39pm / arr 10.17pm

Depart 9.53pm / arr 11.33pm

to be rechecked on :

http://www.voyages-sncf.com

(enter : LYON SAINT EXUPERY TGV and AVIGNON CENTRE), mark : "trajets directs uniquement"

Rgds

6. Re: from airport to TGV station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 21:20