We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saxe Gambetta-what kind of neighbourhood?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Saxe Gambetta-what kind of neighbourhood?

we are looking at renting an apartment close to Saxe Gambetta Metro Station-just wondering what the area is like.Is it Ok at night?

Thanks for any insights

Ozzygal5

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saxe Gambetta-what kind of neighbourhood?

It depends for how long will you be staying. Right to the south and the south-west from Saxe-Gambetta is an area where the immigrants from North Africa were tradditionly settling. I would not advise this area for a family couple for a long stay. For a single male or for a couple staying only for a short period of time that will be OK.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saxe Gambetta-what kind of neighbourhood?

Could you please give the exact location ? If it is very close to the metro station it is just fine.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saxe Gambetta-what kind of neighbourhood?

yes, 30m from the metro station but, alas, it has fallen through.

I am now going to book at the Citedine (?)hotel apartments which I saw recommended on an earlier posting.

Thankyou both for your help.

I may have more questions nearer the time.

Ozzygal5

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saxe Gambetta-what kind of neighbourhood?

only Lyon, you mentioned the area is okay if it is close to the metro stop - what do you think of this place that is in the 7th arr. Grande Rue de la Guillotiere Street: 100 metres from the SAXE GAMBETTA metro stop. And there is another one that is 100 metres from GUILLOTIERE metro station.

thanks

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saxe Gambetta-what kind of neighbourhood?

This portion of grande rue de la Guillotière is a former working class area, which is in the process on gentrification (not accomplished yet).

The North African neighborhood is located east of Guillotière métro station (rue Paul-Bert and around). There are no safety issues in the area, that I like very much indeed (a little piece of North Africa where I go frequently to buy food and spices, don't miss the fabulous "Bahadourian" food store).

Don't know where your other address is located. There is an other ethnic area south of Guillotière métro station (rue Pasteur/rue Passet and around), that is a chinese/vietnamese one.

6. Re: Saxe Gambetta-what kind of neighbourhood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2009, 05:39