We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resistance Museum in Lyon

North East England
2 posts
Save Topic
Resistance Museum in Lyon

Hi

We will be spending two nights in Lyon in August and I am beginning to think it is not long enough, there seems so much to see.

Has anyone been to the Centre for Resistance and Deportation? It looks really interesting, but I'm not sure that we will have the time to do it justice, as we obviously want to see the Vieux Ville, Fourviere, the Presqu'ile etc as well.

Is it an all day thing or just an hour or so?

As for Lyon itself, is it easy to walk around and between the various districts, ie is it fairly compact or are we talking about a lot of foot slogging to get around? We are staying in the Fourviere district.

Many thanks

Christine

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resistance Museum in Lyon

Metro and Tram are convenient. The museum needed approx 2 hours to do it justice.

T

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resistance Museum in Lyon

Lyon is a very walkable city, if you like walking, you can walk everywhere.

If you stay on Fourvière hill, you will not be in the middle of everything though; But the public transportation is very good (métro, tramway and busses) and it is also easy to cycle (try the Vélov').

http://www.tcl.fr/index.asp

http://www.velov.grandlyon.com/?L=1

Musée de la Résistance is very interesting and moving. A 2 hours visit will be fine, not to mention special exhibitions.

You say you have 2 nights, I guess that does not make 2 full days. I would add a third night in order to have enough time to stroll without being in a hurry!

North East England
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Resistance Museum in Lyon

Thanks both of you

I think we will have to see if we have time left for the museum after we've walked around.

We are staying in the Fourviere district because we wanted a chambre d'hotes with somewhere to park our car, and couldn't find one more centrally located. It seems well placed for the roman sites, the basilica and the old town, and not too far from the Place Bellecour.

I have started to wish we could have longer in Lyon, but I really don't think it's possible. Ah well - it will give us a reason to go back some other time.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resistance Museum in Lyon

only-lyon offered very good advise that I relied onme for my visit. If reading here, merci.

T

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resistance Museum in Lyon

Thanks you Tricia for your kind feedback. Hope you enjoyed your stay?

6. Re: Resistance Museum in Lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 19:20