We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one fabulous night in Lyon

Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
one fabulous night in Lyon

My friend from college and I are meeting up in Lyon to begin a 9 day trip and we want to start it off right!

We will be arriving at 7am on a Friday and we want to make sure that we see the city/ important sites, do a little bit of shopping, find a great place to eat, and find some fun places to go out.

2 girls in our 20's.

We love good food, drinks, shopping, museums, theatre, nightlife, etc...

We are willing to spend a good amount of money to find a fabulous place to eat, (but it doesn't necessarily have to be expensive for us to enjoy it).

We like to get dressed up, enjoy a good meal, have some fun cocktails- maybe stop by some live music, if available, and head to a lively bar. We will sometimes check out a fun dance club if we are in the mood - but whether a bar or a club, we like a lively atmosphere.

Again- we will have one day and one night and we want to live it up!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one fabulous night in Lyon

Could you please tell us when you'll be here, it will help checking what's going on for that night!

Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: one fabulous night in Lyon

Friday 5/22

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one fabulous night in Lyon

OK, let's say I am a girl in my 20's. Here is what I would do:

1) For shopping

My favourite shopping streets are in the Presqu'île : rue Auguste Comte and rue Emile Zola; rue Edouard Herriot and rue de Brest are a good bet too.

You will find all major brands (Zara, H&M, etc) rue de la République (a large pedestrian street), but as you can find these in the USA, I assume you will not be interested.

2) For a drink and live music :

- I would definitively stroll along the newly refurbished Rhône banks, there are several cafés and clubs on boats there. You may either enjoy a drink on a terrace in the afternoon, or get there at night. Sirius has good live music, but unfortunately only DJs on 22th night (at 10:00pm, free entry):

http://www.lesirius.com/mai09.php

- The other area to go out is place des Terreaux area : young people go to the bars on Croix-Rousse hill and near Martinière / place Sathonay.

- Other places for live music are Ninkasi cafés (several spots in town, they brew their own beer and are full of young people). Free live music on 22th evening at Ninkasi Opera:

ninkasi.fr/page/p-745/art_id-/concert-1473/

- The best place for cocktails is Soda Bar, 7 rue de la Martinière; the barman won many awards, cocktails are great; there is a DJ on Fridays and Saturdays evening

3) Restaurants

You will find a lot of recommandations already on the forum; L'Etage, la Plage, les Muses de l'Opéra, all fine, but among my previous lists of favourite restaurants, I would recommend this tiny place (reservation necassary) : Cuisine et Dépendances, 46 rue Ferrandière

www.cuisineetdependances.com/v3/acte1.php

Or this trendy place I like very much : Les demoiselles de Rochefort, 31 rue René Leynaud, very good food, nice décor (don't miss the toilets!), in the middle of the best area to go out.

Or this new trendy place with a funny name : L'ourson qui boit, 21 rue Royale (I've never neen there yet, but it's on my list : the chef is japanese and he cooks French food with exotic touch).

4) Clubs

Harder for me to recommend night clubs (i like bars and restaurants, but am definitively not a night clubber). Well, according to my kids, you may like these:

- La Marquise (one of the boats on the Rhône bank) : http://www.marquise.net/

- Mi Barrio, 27 rue de la Martinière 1er

- Le Bloc, 67 rue de Rancy 3è

- àKGB for the choice of vodkas : http://www.akgb.fr/

- And for an after (open after 3:00am) : Le Pink's Club (gay friendly place), 38 rue de l'arbre sec 1er

Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: one fabulous night in Lyon

Wow! Thank you so much! You have given my friend and I plenty of ideas on things to do!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one fabulous night in Lyon

Enough for 3 fabulous nights, I am afraid you will have to choose...or to stay longer!

6. Re: one fabulous night in Lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2009, 05:29