We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch and early Dinner

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,141 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch and early Dinner

We are taking the TGV from Paris for day trip arriving in Lyon at 09:24am and depart 21:00. We thought we would make our way first to Vieux Lyon and have a liesurely lunch at Les Adrets or someplace comparable. For us this will be 3 courses and a bottle of wine. From this area we do not have plans and would welcome suggestions. We want to spend the later part of the afternoon etc. exploring Lyon on foot and getting a feel for there city for a future stay visit. This means city life, not museums or galleries. Where that would take us I do not know, however hopefully someone could suggest a walkable area that may also have a nice resto with easy access back to Part Dieu for the train. We also have time for an early dinner but would ideally like to be short walk or metro ride to catch the train at 21:00. I thought about getting some food items from Les Halles de Lyon and eating them (and some wine) on board the train on the 2 hr trip back to Paris- but I can not imagine getting out the Les Halles without ending up eating there if it is open until 19:00 or so. As far as the restos are concerned we are happy to spend up to 100E for lunch or dinner with a bottle of wine, prefer French and casual/informal. Hopefully someone can provide us with some suggestions. :)

Edited: 27 August 2011, 04:39
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch and early Dinner

What day of the week you will be travelling? Have in mind that many restaurants are closed on Sundays and Mondays.

For starters I would suggest you not to get out of your train at the Part Dieu train station, but at Perrache. All the direct Paris - Lyon trains have the final stop at Perrache. In that case you will be arriving already directly into the area of interest and second there is much bigger selection of restaurants for an early dinner around Perrache area than Part Dieu. You may try Brasserie Georges for instance. It is touristic place, but still is a very interesting experience, the biggest brasserie in France and the oldest in Lyon. The quality of meals stays above average despite the huge popularity of the place. You should better reserve a table in advance.

For sightseeing - in the immediate vicinity of the Perrache station there is Basilique Saint-Martin d'Ainay. From there you can easily reach the Old City by the bank of the Saone river with many spectacular views.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,141 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch and early Dinner

Darth_Feanor, we are arriving on Tuesday as we had anticipated many restos may be closed. I did check about the station to arrive and when I booked on SNCF only Part Dieu is the only destination...to our frustration. We had planned to stay on btw. from what you have advised we should stay in Vieux Lyon for our day and we will give this some thought. Thank you for the suggestions.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch and early Dinner

Easy access between Part Dieu and vieux Lyon/the presqu'ile via metro or tramway. 15 minutes. If you want to pick up food for the train at Les Halles, take tramway c, get off at that stop, and it's only a 5-10 minute walk to the station. Les Adrets is a very good choice for lunch. If you are energetic, walk up the hill to Fourviere after lunch (via any montee/staircase from the old town)

and walk back down via the roman ruins complex. Short distance, delightful views. Enjoy!

montreal
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch and early Dinner

I'm sure you would not want to miss le Vieux Lyon (the old city), a must see. Lyon is a very walkable city and beautiful, so if weather is good try to explore it on foot (if you have time of course).

I suggest you go to the travel office at Place Bellecour where you will find very competent staff who can recommend you a one-day itinerary to suit your time/interests.

Hope you enjoy this great city!

5. Re: Lunch and early Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 05:17