We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Restaurant

Peoria
2 posts
Save Topic
Birthday Restaurant

We will be celebrating my husband's 88th birthday in Lyon on Oct. 2. I have considered a Paul Bocuse restaurant but would love a unique local experience. We are staying near Place Bellecoure and walking distance would be nice. Price wise I am willing to splurge to a degree but don't need five star prices. We would love a wonderful meal in a memorable place that is Lyon and not anywhere else.

Thanks, Peggy

france
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Restaurant

you have "le sud" a restaurant of paul bocuse

it is near place bellecour

happy birthday

Edited: 30 August 2011, 11:59
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Restaurant

I'm not sure if Brasserie Le Sud would be a good advice for a couple who said they were considering of going to the most luxury restaurant in Lyon - which is Monsieur Paul's 3-stars dining spot. Le Sud is a good brasserie, but way off this level.

Apart from Bocuse I could suggest two Michelin-starred restaurants.

1. Restaurant of Christian Tetedoie, which is situated not very far from the Place Bellecour, on the slope of the Fourvier hill and offers a gorgeous view over Lyon. Last time I have been there in March, the gastronomic menu was fantastic. But they change the menu depending on the season.

http://www.tetedoie.com/restaurant.html

2. Gormet de Seze, arguably considered the best restaurant in Lyon. But I myself never been there, judge from the reviews of my friends. They have a very low seating capacity and a table for an evening meal should be ordered well in advance. It's a long distance from Place Bellecour, you might be considering a taxi.

http://www.le-gourmet-de-seze.com/

If you state the planned budget for your meal, the selection of restaurants could be different.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Restaurant

I am with Darth_Feanor, Le Sud is a brasserie that does not fit people's expectations, who want to splurge a little bit for a unique experience. Moreover Le Sud offers Mediterranean food (80% Italian and a little bit of Northern Africa) and the OP has for sure even better at home as she is...Italian!

Christian Tetedoie is fantastic, both the food and the view, if you like a trendy modern place. For something unique but in a more traditionnal way (considering a 88th birthday), I also like La Mère Brazier since Matthieu Vianney's arrival in 2008: the old decor from the 20's has been nicely renovated and the food is delicious. It is also a 2*. Sorry the website is all French, but you might want to look at the pictures:

www.lamerebrazier.fr/a-propos/les-photos/

Peoria
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Restaurant

Thank you all for your help. Haven't decided yet but will be in Lyon for a week and may try them all.

NorciaItaly

5. Re: Birthday Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 03:15