We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

Hi! I will be traveling to Lyon with my 12 year old daughter next week. My husband will already be in Lyon, but at work. This means I will have to handle getting from the airport to our hotel in La Part-Dieu myself. After an overnight flight, with a previous conneciton in Munich, with a small mountain of luggage, and a 12 year old girl. Yikes!

I have done some research here and know I should take the Rhone Express to the La Part- Dieu terminus. I will also take a taxi from there to our hotel (Citidines La Part-Dieu).

What I'd like to know, in small words please <grin>, is: are there big signs in the airport, after Customs, to point me to the Rhone Express tram? Is it a long walk? I ask because if I should get a luggage cart, then I will, but I also know that sometimes you can't get very far with the cart so there's no real benefit of getting one. You just have to manage your luggage as best you can. I want to be mentally prepared!

I do plan on buying our Rhone Express tickets online within the next few days.

How bad is it going to be to get from the Rhone Express platform once we arrive in La Part Dieu to a taxi stand? I understand there is one across the street, so that is good at least. But I also read that it's a haul getting from the platform thru the train station and then out onto the street to get a taxi... is this right?

Honeslty, I need some hand holding here. I am usually well prepared for this kind of trtip but life has been super crazy and I am so not prepared this time. I am feeling sick in my stomache. Which makes me sad as I would much rather be super excited!

Thank you very much!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

Sorry I can't help with this but I'm sure someone will soon and you will get it all sorted out. Hope you have a wonderful journey and that all goes smoothly!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,915 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

If you have that much luggage, perhaps a taxi is in order. There are no porters on the trains, and you have to manage it *all* yourself -- both getting it onto the train, getting it into the racks, and getting it off of the train...and there's a limited amount of time to accomplish this in most cases.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

The OP is getting on the Rhone Express at one end (LYS airport) and taking it to the other end (Part-Dieu), so there should be ample time to load at the airport and unload at Part-Dieu.

According to the Rhone Express website www.rhonexpress.fr/presentation/?rub_code=85 there are red logo signs for the tram at the airport.

On that webpage, there is also a photo of the luggage trolleys. It does look like a long haul from the terminal to the station, so I'd grab a trolley if you see one in the airport. But it looks like you may need 1 euro coins, so perhaps at the Munich airport you can get cash from an ATM and then buy something so that you have some change.

At Part-Dieu, it looks like the Rhone Express arrives very near the taxi stand. www.rhonexpress.fr/presentation/?rub_code=82

Hopefully you have rolling luggage. If you can figure out a method to strap your hand luggage to your rolling luggage so that you and your daughter can roll everything, that would be ideal. I understand your nervousness about doing this on your own, but just count all your pieces of luggage frequently (so nothing gets left on the plane or at the curb) and it will be fine.

Print out something with the name and address of your hotel so that you can simply hand it to the taxi driver at Part-Dieu (assuming you are not fluent in French).

We were in Lyon in May and really enjoyed the market along the river and walking around the old town. We took a walking tour of Vieux Lyon through the Tourist Information office and it was very worthwhile. Have a great trip!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

As mentioned above there are signs indicating the way to the train station from where the RhoneExpress departs. You can also ask to be directed there by the information desk, which is right after the exit from the luggage claiming area. Depending on the amount of luggage and the terminal you have arrived the road to the station will take 7 to 15 minutes. Upon the arrival to the Part Dieu station you indeed will also find the taxi station at the Eastern exit of the station, really across the street from the RhoneExpress terminus.

But having said that I would join my voice to the advice to take a taxi directly from the airport. As you have a lot of luggage that will save you a lot of effort and moneywise it's not much more expensive than the RhoneExpress and taxi from Part Dieu combination.

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

Thank you for the words of understanding and encouragement. I really do think I'll manage overall, but the more I know up front of what I have to do, the much better it will be. I like to show my daughter that a woman is perfectly cabpable of managing on her own when she uses her brain :>) And asking here on TA for help is the best brain usage ever!!

Thank foy AAOL 08 for the information!! I am SO glad you said I would need coins for the trolly. That made me look in my travel box and I have 5 euros in coins already leftover from Paris and $35 paper euros! This is how bad it's been for me, that I never even thought to check to box until you jogged my memory. I am feeling calmer already.

And piggy-backing the luggage! I had to buy new luggage for this trip (older pieces finally where killed off by airport handling) and I haven't had a chance to look at them since I bought. And they have no piggy-back system as the old stuff did :>( BUT, now that you've made me take a minute and investigate, the small rolling duffel has about the same space as the more traditional rolling carryon and has handles so I can loop them over the handle of the checked piece! AND (just checked) the laptop bag fits better into the duffel as well. Problem solved! But I will try to get a trolly for ease. Another deep calming breathe. Daughter is very good at rolling her own bag and being a wonderful travel companion but hey, she is only 12 and I need to be ready to make decisions and have a general clue of what we need to do. It's simply not the same as traveling with another adult.

The map link is wonderful! I did try to find one myself but the site I kept getting directed to only had links to google maps which didn't help at all. Again, I now feel I know what to do, what to look for, and will be able to manage at a decent level. What is that I feel? Excitement instead of raw panic?? Yeah! I know I sound like a sap, but I almost want to cry in relief right now!

Oooh! And I just got the email saying we have been matched up with a Lyon Greeter for a walking tour for Saturday morning! Thank goodness - this trip might come together after all. It's just that I am such a planner and this last minute stuff is not my style and I am very uncomfortable with it.

Ok, next! LOL!

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

I took so long typing and checking things that I see another vote for just taking a taxi from the airport directly to the hotel in Part Dieu. I am seriously going to consider doing that. I figure we'll have 2 larger checked bags, hopefully just one rolling duffel that I can piggyback, into which I can also hopefully stuff the laptop bag, and then of course my large purse and my daughter's stuffed dog (who should be earning FF miles, it's been to so many places in the world!).

I believe I read on another thread that the cost for the taxi to my hotel (guessing my hotel is about the same distance as the other hotel in the thread) should be about 65 euro or so. The RhoneExpress will be 24 euro plus about 10 for the taxi = 35 euro. So a taxi will be about double. So really about $45 USD more. More if I have to pay extra for the luggage (do I??).Wow. But you know, if I feel wiped out after all the travel to get to LYS, it might be worth the splurge. I may now hold off on buying the RhoneExpress tickets until I get to the airport and see how I feel. The auto machines take credit cards so I will be ok there. I just hope they have an English language button (my French is limited to ordering macarons!). I will not be rushed once we land and the tram runs every 15 minutes so I am not worried about taking the extra time to buy a ticket if neccesary.

Oh, daughter is up for school. Got to go!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

You don't need to buy tickets for the RhoneExpress in advance at all. You can buy them directly on board - it's the same price, cash or credit cards are accepted. Most of the passengers do so.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

I'd take the taxi directly from the airport. With luggage and your bit of nervousness, it just seems so much simpler.

Have a great time !

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

We have traveled a lot with our daughters. The younger one is 19 now, and a few years ago I began having her take a more active role in our travels, like helping to spot the signs for baggage claim, and getting her own boarding passes, so as to learn how to eventually do this on her own. (She is very good at public transportation now, even though we don't have much where we live!)

I wouldn't blindly follow a jet-lagged 12 year old, but your daughter could help you spot the red train signs, or the signs to the taxis, for example.

Have a wonderful trip!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Panicking - Need Some Simple Answers

Honestly take the taxi. I've been in Lyon a lot and I still found it frustrating this year after arriving from the US over course on an overnight flight with connection in Paris - it's quite a walk through the terminal (and I only had one small rolling bag), I didn't find the signage obvious at all (much simpler to get on the old bus shuttle I thought!), you have to wait for the tram, ride in etc. Time and hassle saved with a cab. I'm all for public transport (which is generally great in Lyon) and for not spending $$ unnecessarily, but this is one occasion on which I think you would find it worth it.