We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying Near Train Station

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
399 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Staying Near Train Station

I will be spending 4 nights in Lyon in early June and will be traveling by train. Because of the convenience I like staying near the train stations. What is the area near the train station like, or is it advisable to stay elsewhere. I will take a taxi/bus/tram to another location if the train station area is not recommended. Thanks for any help.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying Near Train Station

You know better what's more convenient to you. I can just say that the area around Gare Part-Dieu, the main Lyon train station, is not among the most animated in the evenings to say the least. It's Lyon's downtown, business and shopping area, dead quiet after the nightfall. If having quick access to the trains in the mornings is the most important thing to you, then there is a dozen of hotels around the station that can accomodate you.

If you want to go out in the evenings and literally be in the middle of everything choose a hotel in the Presqu'Ile area of Lyon between the Bellecour and Terreaux squares. From there you can also have a quick enough access to Part Dieu train station by direct buses or trolley-buses - 15 to 20 minutes all in all.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
399 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying Near Train Station

Thank you, Darth_Feanor for the helpful information and the quick reply. I will be making some day trips from Lyon so being near the train station would be helpful to me. But you offer some an interesting alternative, especially if there are trolleys or buses that go to the station in short time. Mainly, I wanted to be certain that the area near the station was not run down and/or seedy. Thanks again.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying Near Train Station

You're welcome! Part Dieu area doesn't strike me as particularly uncomfortable. Presence of the train station and the big shopping mall may attract certain amount of petty criminals during the day, but overall the neighbourhood is quite safe. The second Lyon's train station, Gare de Perrache, btw may make one uneasy due to the presence of rather large amount of homeless people including apparent illegal immigrants or refugees (although most of these poor souls don't look like criminal types). This factor was mentioned in several feedbacks from people living in the hotels in this area. I myself have been living not far from the Perrache area for 10 years now and never experienced any problems.

Edited: 18 February 2012, 19:58
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying Near Train Station

I live in Part Dieu, and i think its pretty safe. I walk home every night at 9 - 10pm from work, and i have never been mugged, attacked etc.

Just be warned that the public transport in Lyon, even the metro, takes a considerable time to arrive and is not really reliable. I have waited for 17 minutes once for a train to go to Croix Rousse. The trains also slow down over the weekends, and non-busy period, like after 5pm.

Lyon is however a pretty small town, and if I wanted to venture and do daytrips, I think Part Dieu is the place to be. There are a variety of hotels in the area too. Hotel Athena is right next to the Gare Part Dieu.

A bit further, past Le Crayon, and the Auditorium de Lyon, is the Ibis Hotel, offering rooms for 66 euros over weekends as per their big red sign outside their hotel.

5. Re: Staying Near Train Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2013, 10:18