We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good restaurants for a party of 12 in September

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shipley, West...
Level Contributor
53 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Good restaurants for a party of 12 in September

We are visiting Lyon in September for my husband's 60th birthday with a group of friends. We are staying at Hotel Le Royal.

With such a large group we think we need to arrange restaurant bookings in advance. We like a relaxed and informal ambience, but rather like our food. We have one vegetarian who will eat fish in our party.

Can experts suggest some suitable places? A variety would be good, we will probably push the boat out one evening of our 3 night stay, but not every night.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good restaurants for a party of 12 in September

Could you please specifiy a little bit: do you want a gastronomic restaurant? Knowing your budget range would help.

Here is my first suggestion: Christian Têtedoie, his newest restaurant offers good food and a beautiful view, which makes a special place for a birthday party. Not sure it will fit your budget though (menus from 58 to 98€, wine not included):

http://www.tetedoie.com/panorama.html

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
937 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good restaurants for a party of 12 in September

YorkshireUKtraveller, I agree with Only-Lyon thatn you don't provide enough information to give you a comprehensive answer. There are hundreds of restaurants in Lyon that can accomodate a group of 12 people. Knowing your budget and type of cuisine preferencies will help.

I could provide you with a general idea though.

Since you mention you can afford to splurge on your meal once or twice I'd reccomend you one evening try one of the Michelin star restaurants, which define the face of Lyon culinary. They are numerous, but I would choose among five depending on your budget: 3 star Paul Bocuse's restaurant (they have there rooms and tables for big groupes), 2 star Auberge de l'Ile on the Ile Barbe not very far from Bocuse's restaurant, or 1 star Cristian Tetedoie (already mentioned by Only-Lyon), Pierre Orsi and Gourmet de Seze. The last one as far as I can remember is small and probably doesn't have sitting capacity for a group as big as yours.

Michelin star restaurants create the image of Lyon culinary, but it's backbone are the "bouchons", which are more or less local brasseries. There you will find the desired informal atmosphere and local specialities. They tend to be small, but there are several that can absorb your group easily enough. I'd mention Cafe des Federation (reservation is a must!) as the best example.

Interisting enough experience could be to have lunch in Paul Bocuse's culinary institute in Lyon's suburb Ecully. Here you have a semi-gastronomical meal made and served by the students and as such not very expensive. Reservation to be made weeks in advance, the place is very popular.

After there are many very good restaurants proposing different type of cuisine. Brasserie George - the biggest brasserie in France offers good cuisine and very informal atmosphere in the huge hall. This place is a tourist attraction, but worth a visit. Or one of my favourites - restaurant d'Olivier, Provencal cuisine hidden from the tourist attention in the residentional area of the 6th arrondissement. The list may go on.

Shipley, West...
Level Contributor
53 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good restaurants for a party of 12 in September

Thanks for all the information so far, very helpful.

We would like to go to something special on one evening - the price range of menus from 58 to 98€ is not out of the question. For the other 2 evenings we are probably looking at around 40 - 50 € per head.

I would prefer to avoid minimalist tasting menus - several in our party like them, but the birthday boy prefers something more substantial.

Happy to try traditional and more modern approaches.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
937 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good restaurants for a party of 12 in September

The vast majoriy of Lyon restaurants will be within your budget, no worries here. Restaurants here are significantly cheaper than say in Paris. So you'll have a wide selection of restaurants to choose from. Apart from mentioned earlier here are several more suggestions.

Vieux Lyon area:

1. La Machonnerie - very good local restaurant near the Vieux Lyon metro station. Menus 27 and 32 euros. Reservation is a must.

2. La nef des fous - small restaurant on the Rue de Boeuf. Provencal style cuisine. Reservation is almost a must.

3. Tire Bouchon - local bouchon on the same Rue de Boeuf. Cheaper and smaller than the La Machonnerie. Reservation is a must.

Rue Merciere:

1. Le Layon - seafood restaurant on a pedestrian part of the Merciere street. Jazzy ambiance, good fish.

2. Le Merciere, one of the most famous bouchons on this street. Menus are around 28 euros - local cuisine.

Cordeliers / Terreaux:

1. Cafe des Federations - was already mentioned. One of the Lyon trademark bouchons. Reservation is indispensable.

2. Leon de Lyon - another famous Lyon brasserie.

3. Brasserie Nord - one of the five brasseries of Paul Bocuse.

Hope that small selection helps. But have in mind, that the list is not limited by these names. It goes on. I gave you only centrally located restaurants.

Edited: 08 March 2012, 17:16
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
937 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good restaurants for a party of 12 in September

And of course worth mentioning Maison Villemanzy in the Crois Rousse area. Very good cuisine with a view over Lyon. In season you can be served at the outdoor terrasse in the small garden.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good restaurants for a party of 12 in September

A lot of choices already, and I would vote for Maison Villemanzy and Café des Fédérations among those : both good in very different styles! I will add this other one, which is located Place des Terreaux, have a look:

- L'étage

http://www.letage-restaurant.com/

For your special dinner, an alternative to Têtedoie would be La Mère Brazier. The first one is a brand new place, modern, with an amazing view. The second is an historical restaurant here since the 20s. They have smaller rooms on 1st floor, nicely decorated, which would be perfect for your group. It is a 2 stars Michelin restaurant but they have a reasonable seasonal menu for 61€ (and more expensive menus):

http://www.lamerebrazier.fr/

Shipley, West...
Level Contributor
53 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good restaurants for a party of 12 in September

Many thanks to all for these really good suggestions, which look to be just the thing. I now know where to begin.

8. Re: Good restaurants for a party of 12 in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:41