We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annecy or Wine tour south of Lyon

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Annecy or Wine tour south of Lyon

My husband and I will be in Lyon in May for four days and would like to make one day trip somewhere. We would love to do both, but don't have the time. Would you choose one over the other and why?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annecy or Wine tour south of Lyon

Oh my word, one day is way too short. I could think of so many places you can go when you are there.

I have been to Annecy, and worked in Lyon for 3 months, although, i have never done a wine tour of south of Lyon. I would however think that Lyon is not very famous for their wines; wine is more famous in towns like Avignon.

If you decide to go to Annecy, you will get a similar experience like going to Venise. The town is full of canals and the water is unbelievably clear, emerald-green that you can see right into the bottom of the lake. The travelling time to Annecy is approximately 2 hours, however, you should check that on the sncf website, www.sncf.com.

You would need approximately an afternoon in Annecy to see the whole of it. Also be wary that Annecy is a tourist town, and therefore the prices in Annecy are a little bit higher than other parts of France.

When you get to Annecy, there are also boat tours of the lake that you can do, however, the tours are all in french, and if you do not know french, I would suggest you to keep away from the tours, unless you would like to enjoy the scenery from the boat.

If you have got just 1 more day in France, I would highly suggest taking the train for an extra 2 hours from Annecy to see Chamonix Mont Blanc. The place is stunning and the town is built right next to the highest mountain in the French Alps.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annecy or Wine tour south of Lyon

Thank you Simon1123. We will be in Lyon 4.5 days so we will have plenty of time in Lyon and I believe we will only need one day in Annecy. Yes, I've heard great things about Chamonix and will one day get there, probably not this trip.

We will more than likely make our way to Annecy, I understand the best Violet ice cream in the world is there!! Looking forward to the whole experience.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annecy or Wine tour south of Lyon

Actually the areas north of Lyon are very famous for wine:-) You can have a great day out touring around there. But Annecy is great too. Spoiled for choice:-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annecy or Wine tour south of Lyon

Well I would say Annecy !! Just because I love Annecy, and I am not fond of wine !

You can enjoy a walk by the lake on the Pâquier and the Jardins de l'Europe, the pedestrian streets (rue Royale, Ste Claire) The old town with its canals, narrow streets and colorful houses. Don't miss the Old Prison on the Thiou, in the old town

I hope you will enjoy your stay !

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annecy or Wine tour south of Lyon

Seems that Simon is not much into wine either! Actually the area South of Lyon is also famous for wine and Saint-Joseph, Côte-Rôtie or Condrieu are just as good and as famous as Châteauneuf-du-Pape :-)

6. Re: Annecy or Wine tour south of Lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 10:40