We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

Hi

I am looking at booking a trip to Lyon, Sat-Tues, with the intention to go to a gig at the the Theatre Antique in Vienne on the Monday night.

The latest train back to Lyon seems to be 9.58pm, which is too early, so would a taxi be the only alternative? Any idea how much this would cost?

Thanks

Jodi

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
987 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

I'd say that taxi is pretty much the only option unless you could negotiate a ride back to Lyon with one of your fellow spectators. I remember I did it when I went to Vienne for a Deep Purple gig. But I guess it won't be that easy if you don't speak French. Taxi from Vienne to central Lyon should cost approximately 80-95 euros during the night hours, it's about 35k ride.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

There is an organized carpool system monitored by Greater Lyon council for year programmes, which includes the main theaters in the area :

http://www.covoiturage-pour-sortir.fr/

It does not include Vienne though, but there is an other website dedicated to festivals all over France. You should give it a try if you speak some French (but I'm sure you will find fellow spectators who speak English!):

http://www.covoiturage-festivals.com/

NB : I found out because this is recommended on Jazz à Vienne website, but never tested it actually:

www.jazzavienne.com/fr/page/page?id=55#page

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

One more thing I discovered just reading Jazz à Vienne website. As you don't mention your date: is your gig part of this summer festival ?

In this case, you will be able to use the special bus service which is run by SNCF. You buy your train trip and you will be able to use this bus service for your return trip: departure is in front of Vienne train station, and there are a few stops in Lyon.

www.jazzavienne.com/fr/page/page?id=55#page

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

Thanks for all your help.

I am planning to see Portishead on the 25th June so it will not be part of the festival. I thought they may have a special bus service for all gigs.

You did give me the idea to see if I can find anyone on some Portishead forums who may be going to the gig, even to share a taxi as there are only 2 of us so would help with the cost.

My French is limited so not sure if I could manage to win a lift from someone, but I can try!

Maybe we could always stay in a hotel in Vienne for that night....I will look into it

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

I don't know if this helps, but there is a carpool* forum for this specific concert here :

upconcert.fr/concert/portishead-vienne-124396

*Co-voiturage means Carpool

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

Vienne is charming, with some pretty mindblowing (and amazingly unpublicized) Roman sites still mostly intact.

You could do worse than to spend a night here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

Thanks for your help, could be a really useful website, exactly what I need.

We would need to leave at 2pm the next day to go to the airport, so I guess if we stayed in Vienne then there would be more than enough for us to do for a few hours in the morning. Would prefer not to change hotels though on a short trip.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

Fantastic Roman museum in Vienne which was an important Roman trading center - ruins and museum with incredible artifacts on the same site. Plus a very interesting Roman temple (think the Maison Carre in Nimes) and a good cathedral. Plus a charming smaller old town which is very pleasant in itself. It's one of my favorite small towns in France.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

Hi there. I'm also going to the Portishead gig and will be staying in Lyon on Saturday and Vienne on the Monday. Ideally I would prefer to stay in Lyon on the Monday night as I have a morning train back to Lille for the Eurostar. I think my hotel booking can be cancelled and if you are still looking at using a taxi I wouldn't mind splitting the fare with you.

10. Re: Best way from Theatre Antique in Vienne to Lyon at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:15