We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lyon 3rd arrondissement

BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lyon 3rd arrondissement

Hello,

I am going to Lyon as an exchange student in September and just found out I'll be living in the 3rd arrondissement near the river. What's this area like? Any comments will be appreciated.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lyon 3rd arrondissement

There are different neighborhoods in 3rd arrondissement, varies a lot actually if you are close to Cours Gambetta or close to Cours Lafayette. Coul you please be more specific about your location?

BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lyon 3rd arrondissement

Hello only-lyon, I will be very close to Pont Lafayette.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lyon 3rd arrondissement

Area near Pont Lafayette is a respectable neighborhood. Also if you like partying the bank of the Rhone river is extremely animated in the evenings with all its bars, clubs and discotheques situated on the anchored boats. I sometimes pass by the bank at 3, 4 am and it still buzzing.

BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lyon 3rd arrondissement

Good to know :) Thank you

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lyon 3rd arrondissement

Nothing to add: Darth_Feanor said it all!

BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lyon 3rd arrondissement

Yup, all sounds good!

BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lyon 3rd arrondissement

Hello Darth_Feanor or only-Lyon,

I have another question. I'll be arriving in Lyon at about 7 pm on a Saturday or Sunday evening (completely jetlagged). What would be the easiest way, other than a taxi, to reach the area near Pont Lafayette? And if I were to get a cab, any idea how much it would cost?

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lyon 3rd arrondissement

Hi, you didn't mention if you'll be arriving by train or by plane. If you arrive by train at the Part Dieu station you just take the bus C13 and get off at the Moliere stop, that's the last stop before the bus actually crosses the Pont Lafayette. A taxi from the train station even on Sunday won't be expensive, it's very close. If you arrive by plane then you have to take the tram service RhoneExpress to get to the city. Take the RhoneExpress to the Vaulx-en-Velin La Soie terminus metro station of the A line. That is penultimate stop of the RhoneExpress. Take the metro to Cordeliers station. And then you will have just to cross the Pont Lafayette, i estimate around 10-12 minutes walking distance to the place you will be staying. A taxi from the airport on Sunday may be expensive - up to 80 euros.

BC
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lyon 3rd arrondissement

Thanks so much. I will be arriving by plane. Great detail in you answer. I really appreciate it. I'll have a couple of nights before I can get into my student residence. Any suggestions for reasonable accommodation in the third near Pont Lafayette? Also, I understand it's a 20 minute bus trip to 6 Cours Albert Thomas, the office at the University, from my student residence. Do you happen to know which bus number and whether transfers are involved? Thanks again.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lyon 3rd arrondissement

For any itinerary using public transportation, use TCL website, very convenient: just type your departure and final destination and you will get it all!

www.tcl.fr/en/Getting-Around/Getting-around